Chapter 27

It takes around what I believe is an hour for Jestro and his book to get back. They must be arguing because Jestro is being really loud. I hear the gates of the Fort slam open from the other side of the place. Curious, I get closer to the main area, picking up pieces of a conversation.

"Why did you do that?!" Jestro yells. A reply. "Yes, the magic book thing! Why did you do that?!"

"...push..." Comes the book's muffled reply. 

"Do you have any idea what you've done?" Jestro's voice cracks as he screams at the book.

"What?" The book jokes. In response, Jestro screams in agony and fury. 

"I worked so hard!" Jestro roared. Silence. I hear footsteps in the hall.  Muttering. Jestro enters the room next to mine, not noticing that I was eavesdropping. I slip into the room and look at him. He's pacing around the room, trying to get some sort of energy out. I notice something else too.

His eyes.

They aren't gentle yellow anymore. They look more saturated. More powerful. Oh no.

"Jestro?" I whisper. He looks up at me. He smiles. 

"Hey, Sianna!" He stops pacing. 

"What happened back there?" Jestro's expression hardens.

"You listened?"

"It was kinda hard not to. You were screaming." I counter. He gives a fragile laugh.

"It was nothing. The book just did something..." He trails off. I look at him, worried. I walk in front of him. He was staring at the floor. I lift his face up, forcing him to look me in the eye. He seems shocked at my touch. I was right.

"Your eyes. They changed color." I tell him. Jestro immediately recoils away from me. He sits down on the floor and looks at me.

"I...I..." He pauses. "Stay away." He whispers.

"What? No!" I say.

"I don't want to hurt you!" He exclaims. I look at his eyes again. 

"You need to tell me what the Book of Monsters did." I sit down in front of him. He twirls his staff in his hands. "Did he use another magic book?"

"Well..." Jestro starts. He doesn't finish, because I know the answer is yes.

"That's not good, Jestro." I stare at him. He seems fine to me. But I can feel deep inside that he changed.

"I don't want to hurt you." He says again. I smile and pull him into a hug.

"You can't hurt me," I assure him. He is still shocked at my touch but finally hugs me back. "You can't hurt me," I tell him again. He closes his eyes for a second and then re-opens them. Jestro smiles and let's go. I let go as well. We both get up, and Jestro signals for me to follow him. As we leave the room, I catch him mutter something.

"I can't hurt you."