Chapter 2

(Two Weeks Later)

"Alright, Whirling Macey!" Clay manages to yell over the monsters and screams. I swing my scythe at a few small monsters, and they vanish into the air, fading in a cloud of purple, yellow, and red. I flinch as one bangs on my helmet, the metal hitting my already bruised scalp. A few yards away, I can see Axl swinging Macey around. She yells with excitement, defeating monster after monster. Aaron whizzes a few feet above me, shooting at a monster that was going to jump onto my back. 

"You owe me!" He calls as he zooms away, aiming at one of the bigger monsters. Lance and Clay are back to back, clearly annoyed at each other, and driving their weapons into the monsters. I sigh and continue to swing my scythe. It glows orange, the light getting right into my face. but I don't care. The Nexo Power gets rid of the tiny brats anyway. The intercom crackles, and then Ava starts talking.

"Alright, time to retreat." She says. I look around, and most of the monsters are gone, the rest following Jestro and the Book Of Monsters to their rolling fort. As Jestro climbs in, we lock eyes, and I can see the panic. We stay like this a few seconds, and then he grins, turning away, and whispering to the evil book. I shiver, the encounter chilling my bones. Then, I follow the team back the Fortrex, the silver door closing behind us. I double over, gasping for breath. This was one of my first real battles, and I'm worn out.

I watch Lance retreat to the relaxation room, and Clay sighs, plucking his lance out of his hand to put in storage, then heading off to the training room. I put my scythe in its rightful spot, a case, just big enough for it to fit. Axel retreats to the kitchen, Macey and Aaron head over to the game room, to finish their round of Nexo Tiebreaker. I, however, head over to where Ava is attempting to program new software into Merlock's hard drive. I want to talk with Merlock, about the look Jestro gave me earlier.

"Hey, Merlock?" I ask. He turns and faces me. I haven't really talked to him in a while. Ever since the library incident, I've actually been a little afraid.

"Greetings, Sianna!" He says it like we've known each other for a long time. 

"I have a question," I ask. "When leaving the battle, I got a look, from Jestro. Do you think it means anything?"  I sit down in a spare chair, crossing my legs. Merlock thinks.

"Describe the look."

"Well, I was going to the Fortrex, and then, we make eye contact, and hold it there for a few seconds. Then, he grins, and turns to whisper to the book." He nods along the whole time.

"Suspicious." He says. I look at him, hoping he'll say more, which, he does. "Keep a sharp eye out, and always stay focused." Merlock starts to glitch out, he's downloading Ava's new software.

"Okay. Thanks!" I say, standing up and walking out of the room, towards my own. I stop in front of the door with my black shield and symbol on it. Then, open the door, and slam it shut, flopping onto my bed. Why had Jestro given me that look? It probably doesn't matter, he's evil, he's supposed to give people looks. I pick up a small picture frame of my bed stand and look at it. It has a picture of me, my mom, and my dad. My dad is wearing his signature hat and holding a book on the stars. My mother holds a paintbrush and paper. Me, I hold them both, hugging my parent close to me as my life depends on it. I smile, wondering what my parents are doing now. Then, I put the picture frame down. But, I decided to pick it up again, take out the picture, and stuff it in my little bag. My bag is the size of my hand, and it has the picture, my pocket knife, and a notepad, and a pencil. I close my eyes, ready to relax.

A thump resounds from outside my wall.