Chapter 25

I run to a far corner of the fortress, away from the room and the book. Jestro is nowhere to be found. I take out the radio and look at it. Maybe Lance's radio wasn't working. Mine didn't seem to have a problem. I need another way to make contact. 

The only other way to do that is to escape.

I take a deep breath, put the radio in my bag, and start for the exit. It's a good, long walk away. I can see the Jestro has left - there's no sign of any monsters - for now. The exit has been left unguarded, and a slip out the metal gates with ease. I turn and face the lava lands. It was a long way to Knighton. But, I wouldn't let that stop me. No. I would let something else stop me.

Jestro.

I stayed because I can tell he's in trouble. And, most importantly, Jestro was Clay's friend. Judging on how serious Macy and Lance describe him to be, he's got more than one thing on his mind. I shake my head. Contact is my goal right now. I see a monster grab some sort of vehicle. Hitching a ride would be my quickest way. I quietly walk over and position myself so that I'm holding onto the back of the strange thing. The monster doesn't see me; the vehicle starts moving. Soon, we are halfway through the lava lands, and Knighton is just up ahead. Once we reach the grass, I hop off the back and into a bush. It feels so good to have soil back under my feet. I take a deep breath. Dear God, I want to hug the ground.

But no, right now, I have to find someone, anyone. The bridge leading to the castle is nearby. I head there. As I get closer, I see that the monsters have conjured up some sort of raid. Something catches my eye.

"Aaron!" I call out. He turns his head and looks around. I wave one arm. "Down here!" He finally notices me. I begin to head in his direction. He quickly gets to me and hops off his hover-shield.

"No way!" He smiles and then rubs his eyes. "Am I hallucinating or something?"

"No," I assure him. He laughs and elbows me.

"Where have you been? Are you hurt?" He asks. 

"I'm fine. Where are the others?" At this, Aaron nervously laughs.

"We split up, and we haven't heard from each other since." I sigh. That's what Lance was trying to say. 

"We have to get to everyone. I think I can work around with Lance." Aaron frowns. 

"How?" Oh, that's right. He didn't know. I pull out the speaker, and Aaron looks at me in awe. I press the on button. A loud static noise pierces the air.

"Lance! Can you hear me?" I can hear some noise on the other end.

"Loud and clear." Lance mumbles. 

"I'm with Aaron right now, we'll be there in a bit to pick you up."

"Wait, you're with Aaron? Did you leave?"

"Yeah." I turn off the speaker without waiting for a reply. I turn to Aaron and smile.

We have a rescue mission to go on.