Chapter 33

Jestro and Monstrux started out with rather simple jokes. That got the crowd up and running. There were still two stiff faces. My parents really had come to the show and didn't buy anything. I have to admit, I cried a little bit when I saw them. It's been around a month or two in the Lavalands. Not something I can put on a resume, sadly.

Jestro surprised me with his next line. 

"Now, we have a special guest to help get us all up and laughing." He turns and gestured to me. "Please give a shout for Sianna Hollows!" I found it hard to walk onto the stage. The house, which was packed, turned from giggles and gasps into eerie silence. The only thing running through my head was the fact that I never told Jestro my last name. He might remember from the knight school graduation, though. I choked out some words.

"Um, hello, how's everyone doing?" I stumbled on each word. Finally, a roar of claps came from the people. Everyone's stares had turned into smiles. I made eye contact with my parents, mouthing to them that they had to meet me out back after the show. They only nodded and smiled.

"So, Sianna, how many apples grow on a tree?"

"I don't know, Jestro. How many?"

"All of them!" The whole crowd burst into laughter, and I found myself getting into it as well. Even Monstrux had told a few jokes. I expected this; he has a fine taste in sarcasm. Finally, the show was over. I ran backstage and climbed out of the ground window. My parents had already made it. I didn't care that I was covered in ash, scratches, and burns. I ran up to them and pulled them close. I knew it would take Jestro a while to get here, but that didn't matter.

"Sianna, honey..." My dad muttered. My mom didn't say anything, just laughed to herself.

"You had us worried, goodness gracious." Mom managed to say through tears.

"It's for a good cause, don't worry." I suddenly heard the noise I excepted, and soft cry and a thump from the window behind me. I always knew Jestro was a bit clumsy, but it was a ground window, and I'd seen him climb up a moving vehicle. I laughed. "Do you have the book?"

"Yeah, right here," He hands the book over, and I cover my hand with my shirt before accepting. I looked up to find that my parents had recoiled, now five feet away from us.

"Hon..." My mom pointed at Jestro.

"Oh, him? He's fine. As it turns out, he's being used by the magic book. Don't worry, we're friends now." I rest my elbow on Jestro's shoulder.

"That sounds about right," Jestro laughs. "I don't believe we've been formally introduced. I'm Jestro." He extends a hand to my parents. They hesitate to shake it.

I end up telling my parents about the plan I've conceived. They agree to let us in the house long enough for the knights to distract Monstrux. I left out the fact that the book was Monstrux, for good measure. When we get in the house, I find myself bringing Jestro to my old room, the safest place in the house, by far. 

My room was basic, holographic stars on the ceiling, a picture of the family crest, a desk, and a bed with yellow sheets. I sat down and pulled out the speaker.

"Hello?" I call into the device.

"Clay speaking, what's going on."

"You guys are at the show, right?"

"Yes,"

"I have Jestro and the Book of Betrayal with me, in my old house. We need you to distract the book long enough for us to get to the dark forest,"

"Wait, Jestro's there?" Clay says. I move my hands to tell Jestro to say hello.

"Hi," He squeaks. He seems shy now. I can understand why. Silence.

"We're on it, it'll take five minutes for you to reach the forest." 

"Alright, thank you," The noise of the comedy show dwindles to a hum. I lead Jestro to the front door, hand on the doorknob. "When I open the door, we book it." 

Jestro nods.

The door creaks as I slam it open, and we make a run for it.