Chapter 44

My eyes followed the piece of wood as it slid across the floor and into the garbage shoot, tensing up as it clanged down the metal pipe. I felt a chill rush down my spine and tapped my foot on the floor. I looked up. Clay was looking at the garbage shoot. He put on some sort of a half-real smile and excused himself to use the bathroom. But, I only heard him walk a few steps before the sound stopped. 

"Odd," I muttered to myself. "I'm gonna go grab something from my room!" I suddenly found myself blurting out. I dropped my broom onto the floor and walked out to find Clay sitting down a few feet away from the door. He was holding a paper copy of the knight's code, and he stared at the cover blankly.

"Clay?" His head jerked up.

"Oh, hey Sianna," Clay mumbled. I sat down across from him, tapping my foot loudly on the floor for a little bit so that no one would suspect anything. "Do you think that we can get him?" I sighed.

"We're gonna have to. None of us are ready to fight Monstrux, and our best warrior isn't feeling too well."

"Our best? Who's that?"

"You, idiot," I said. "You're upset. You're mad. You can't hide it and that's ok." 

"But I have to be there for the team."

"You also have to be there for yourself! Lance told me about when they sent you on vacation. Sure, everything was chaotic, but you rarely put yourself before others."

"Because I'm a knight. I have to help people."

"You're a person too!" He stops. I sigh. 

"I want to help Jestro, he's my friend." Clay whispers. I think about this for a second, and then suddenly, it clicks. I grab Clay by the hand and lead him to the brick.

"Maybe there's something we can do about it." 

"No! No, that's against the knight's code!" 

"Screw the knight's code!" I take the copy out of his hands and throw it across the room. "The knight's code says that you have to protect your teammates. And since Jestro has a vague idea of what we're planning, he's part of the team now."

"But this is a magic book! I'd be stealing it from King Halbert!"

"I think stealing a magic book from the knights is significantly better than having a dark lord revived!" I grab his hand again and put my radio into the center of his palm. "Take the book, and go to the castle tomorrow night. Give the book to Monstux, trade it for Jestro. He can probably find another host."

"No."

"No?"

"I'll take the book and the radio, and give Monstux the book and myself. I'll give Jestro the radio, and he can leave." Silence.

"Are...are you sure?" Clay nods.

"I am the best knight here, according to you." I smile.

"Alright," I pull Clay into a hug. "Don't die," I whisper.

"I won't," He pulls out of the hug and we walk down to the control room. "Should we start driving?"

"Yeah, and let's discuss this plan while we're at it." I turn on the Fortrex engine. "Jestro's going to find out that I know about the room. I'll have to explain that to him,"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it," Clay says smoothly as he starts driving.

I smile. Maybe I am a little bit of evil. Maybe I did touch that magic book. I laugh. I think it'll be worth it in the end, though.