Chapter 9

I duck behind the corners, and run back to the room I had told Macey about. I peeked inside, but then I decided not to go in. I suddenly feel guilty. What about the others? They're worried about me too. And Macey can't tell them that I'm okay. My heart pounds. I just made things worse. I hear footsteps in the halls, and I back away from the room. Jestro smiles at me.

"Hey, Sianna." He says.

"What do you want?" I sigh. He looks at me, confused.

"I dunno, I feel kinda lonely." For a moment, guilt flashed over his face. The good start to shine through. "The book isn't here right now, I guess I need someone to talk to." He twirls his staff in his hand. I glance at him, and the back away more from the room. If I can start a conversation, I might be able to lead him away.

"When was the last time you put your staff down?" I ask. He looks at the staff, and then back at me.

"I don't really know. Two weeks ago?" I stifle a gasp.

"Two weeks? That's unhealthy." I say. 

"Says the goody-goody knight." Jestro mumbles. A honk of laughter escapes.

"Goody-goody knights? That's what you call us?" He nods his head.

"Yeah." He says, grinning foolishly. " It was the book's idea though." Jestro sighs.

"You should call us... the plan breakers!" I suggest. I sit on the floor. He sits down with me.

"That's dumb, I'll just stick with my name."

"Fine, but I'll laugh whenever you say it." When the word laugh escapes my mouth, he flinches, something flashing in his eyes. It looks like fear, but he hides it well.

"Fine by me." He says. I look him dead in the eyes and look deep into his soul. It something Lance had taught me to do. 

"You can tell if they like you or not." He had told me when I was learning. I focused on getting into Jestro's head, and soon, I got into it. My decision was right, he did have good left in him, but it was being consumed by something else. I didn't have time to find out what it was, because he got up, pulling me up with him, and that alone broke my train of thought. I look at my wrist, he's holding it, and I aggressively pull away.

"Don't touch me!" I yell. He lets go, taking a step back in shock at the fact that I had raised my voice. I clutched the arm that he had been holding moments ago, and cradled it close to my chest. My breathing was heavy as I remembered that only a few hours ago, he had been threatening me, using the same ash dusted hand. His eyes darted from my hand to my face.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't-" He tries to apologize, but I hold my hand up for silence, and he stops. I take a minute to think. I shouldn't have yelled. I feel bad. But then another thought rushes in. He is Jestro. He had kidnapped me and is now holding me hostage. The touch had every right to scare me. 

"I just got scared. I'm fine." I say. Then, I storm off. I run back to the place he had locked me in before he had let me roam free. Then, I shut the door lightly, feeling tired and a little bit dizzy. I curl up in the upper left corner of the room and close my eyes, soon falling asleep.