Chapter 18

Oh, come on! My plan was working, but the Fortrex just had to show up. I listen to myself. I should be happy. They could save me. But, I need to find out what the book is doing. I take the book from Jestro and chuck it into a bush.

"He-" I cover his mouth with my hand and drag us both behind a bush.

"Shut up! The knights are coming, they'll catch us if they track the book!" He looks at me, bewildered. Like I was a whole different person. If he could speak, he wouldn't say anything, because he'd still be surprised. The Fortrex rolls closer and stops next to the ring. The knights walk out and both Jestro and I shrink closer to the forest floor. 

"Ava said there was a book right here!" Axl says.

"Well, maybe this book is trickier then we thought." Clay sighs in disappointment. Jestro moves my hand off of his mouth and nods his head, as if to say, "I know what to do."

"Well, let's go," Axl says, and I can hear the Fortrex close up. It crumbles away, and I peek out of the bush. Out a back window, Macy and Lance are scanning the area. I wave my arms to draw their attention, and in return, both of them make a small wave at me. 

The Fortex rolls away.

Jestro hops onto his feet and looks at me, afraid and relived.

"Why did you do that?! I thought you were a good guy!" His breathing is heavy, and so is mine. How am I going to explain this to him?

"I want to be friends." I breathe out slowly. 

"Huh?"

"You heard me. This whole evil thing isn't entirely your fault." He looks at me for a few seconds.

"Yeah, I kinda wanna be friends too." He smiles at me, and I smile back. "So, about the magic book."

"Whatever, we'll find it soon." I lead him away from the ring and back to his rolling fort. "In the meantime, let's get back to the fort. The Knights will pick up on us soon."

Jestro looks at me, amazed. Like he wants to thank me. And, I know he does, but he doesn't say anything. For the whole ride back, we are silent, and when we get off the fortress, we take off our friend outfits and put on our villain-hostage costumes. We step into the magma castle, together.