Chapter 29

For the rest of the week, things were actually normal, in a way, at the fortress. Jestro and the Book would leave, I would fight in the secret training room, and they would come back. The book would go and prepare the room, Jestro and I would talk, and that would be the end of the day. Well, for me at least. 

I've been checking up on the Chain Room, my name for it, every day. It's been improved. Now, there are podiums on each bridge beam, and torches line the walls. It freaks me out, the stuff you would see in dark magic rituals. Merlock warned us to stay away from those. I have no choice now. 

The book has been spending a lot more time away from Jestro, probably for some evil preparation. And Jestro, well, he doesn't seem like himself. He's always concerned about the color of his eyes, and the way he holds his staff. He's afraid he's going to hurt me.

I'm in the room which I was put in during my first day. I'm sitting down against the wall when Jestro comes in.

"Hey, Sianna!"

"Hi, Jestro." I shift myself over a little so he can sit next to me.

"Anything from the knights?" He whispers, pointing to my bag.

"No, you're keeping them pretty busy,"

"Yeah, I guess." That's when I notice his eyes again. Through the course of the week, they faded back to their natural yellow color. Now, they look saturated again. My heart skips a beat, but I shake it off. I also decide not to tell him, because he seems happy. 

"Does the Book seem to be doing anything?"

"No," He pauses. "I forgot to tell you, I wanted to say sorry about a  few weeks ago. When I half stabbed you." He fiddles with this staff. I check his eyes again, somehow, they're even more saturated than just a minute ago.

"It's okay," But Jestro is getting up. "Are you alright?" He doesn't say anything. 

It takes five seconds.

He raises his staff and points.

"Jestro? What are you doing? Wait-" And before I know it, I'm cornered by five monsters. Is he betraying me? No, that's not possible. Jestro looks scared. One of the monsters touched me, and it burns. Like when I was being kidnapped. I jerk myself away and shut my eyes. I have no weapons, nowhere to run. I'm trapped. I hear a clang of wood and metal on the floor, and force myself to stand up. Jestro is shaking, on his knees, breathing hard. 

"Stop it! Leave her alone!" He directs this at the monsters; they don't move. "Stop! Stop..." He trails off. I find myself pushing through this arsenal of magma and going towards Jestro.

The attacker, somehow.

Finally, the monsters leave. 

"Jestro, what was that?" I make him look into my eyes.

"That, book. That book that it gave me, it's forcing me to do this!" He sounds hurt. He probably is. I look at his eyes again, they're fading back to their normal color.

"We have to tell the knights."

"No! If the Book finds out-"

"He's won't know anything."

"But-"

"No, stay here, calm down." I pick up his staff.

"Where are you taking it?" He reaches for it.

"You can't do magic if you don't have this." Jestro looks at the staff, there's a hitch in his breath. 

"Fine," He mumbles. He sits in a corner. I leave the roof, clutching the staff.

I have to tell knights.