Chapter 13

I'm probably miles away from my hometown. Even farther from the castle. How long did it even take to get here? And how long was I unconscious for? Questions spin in my head. I can almost feel myself plummeting downs some sort of mental cycle of thoughts. I think about my little room in the Fortrex. I think about my house. 

"Ugh." I let myself say out loud. I wonder what the knights are doing? Shaking my head, I get up and try to focus on the bigger problem. That book. It's doing something to Jestro, but what? It surprises me that Jestro's problems seem bigger to me than my own. But, I head down to the room anyway. My footsteps echo in the hall. I know exactly where I'm going. The evil fortress isn't hard to navigate, unlike the King's castle, it has a basic layout. I let myself into the room. The chains still hand down from the roundtable, the same way I had left it. I tried to walk down the narrow poles again. It shouldn't have been any different from before. But, I stopped midway. My knees wobbled and I slightly swayed. I ran as fast as my legs could carry me and sat down on the table.

Why have a panic attack now? It didn't happen before. But then, it could happen at any time. It's hot in here. I shiver. Goosebumps form on my arms. Before I can get up, I find myself wanting to sit again. I look at the door.

"Surprise surprise." I deadpan.

"Good to see you too." The book deadpans back.

"I don't have info to give you." The book laughs.

"That's not what I came for." Its keeper takes a few steps closer. "You shouldn't know about this room."

"Figured that out."

"Sassy." He mutters under his breath.

"Shouldn't you be at the attack with Jestro?"

"He asked if I could stay." It scoffs. Of course. The note. If the book caught him with it, I'd be screwed.

"I'm not planning on telling Jestro about this-" I spread my arms out to display the room. "-any time soon."

"Good." The book paces around the room. I stand up off the table. 

"Actually, it would be best if you stayed where you are." He suggests. 

"Why?" As if my question was answered, a piece of the small bridge in front of me cracks and falls into the lava.

"It's not done yet."

"Crap."

"What? Scared of fire?"

"Yes!" We both freeze. "Pyrophobia, I thought you would know this. You wanted to kidnap me." The book sighs.

"Just use another one." I find myself following his instructions. 

"You can't hide your secrets from me."

"Oh, I know." He pauses. "I'll just make you keep them from Jestro."