Chapter 17

The Dark Forest wasn't something people generally joked about. When I lived in Funnyton, nobody found the Dark Forest funny. I used to corner in back allies by mean kids, who called me names and laughed at me for wanting to be a knight, and after pushing past them, I would make them follow me to the border of the Dark Forest. While they stopped on the edge, I ran in, laughing over my shoulder about how they were scaredy-cats. Ha. Look at me now. 

Jestro doesn't really like this place either. He had gotten closer to where I was, and every so often, he would whimper, like he saw something. Funny how he's afraid of this place, we've caught him here a thousand times. Maybe he regrets it. That's what I've been seeing.

"So, Jestro, do you have any clue to where this book is?"

"Um, it's near a huge ring of trees."

"Ring of trees?" When I came into the forest when I was little, I remember running into a ring of trees. When I stepped in, floating lights started shining, and I swear, I could hear voices. I ran out and stayed clear of that part of the forest.

"Yeah." We both shudder in unison. Me, for the ring, him, I don't know. "We're looking for the book of revenge." I let myself slow down and fall back to his side.

"Well, the ring is this way." I take his wrist in one hand and point to a narrow trail with the other. He seems reluctant to move. But, I drag him there anyway. Finally, we stop. Through the swirling branches, I can see something glowing.

A book.

Jestro pushes me forward gently, his way of saying; "I'm not going, you get it!" To my surprise, I find myself going towards the book. I can earn his trust, and friendship, this way. I put my hand on one of the trees. Then, I step in. All around me, little lights flicker, and I can hear someone. A faint; "Sianna". Freaking out, I grab the book and throw it over my shoulder, running away from the ring. But, I trip on a root and lop onto the ground face first, right at Jestro's feet. It was probably just some abandoned squirebot or the speaker, but I back away just to be sure.

He's holding the book in his left hand, and the other one is still holding the staff. He smiles. Putting the book down next to him, he helps me to my feet. I pick up the book and look at it. It's green, with a strange symbol on the front. Careful not to corrupt myself, I hold it by covering my hand with my shirt.

"Here." I hold out the book. "Hold it by covering your hand with your cape, or it'll try and hurt you." He takes it and does what I tell him to do. In reality, it won't hurt him. Not at all. But it will corrupt him more, and we don't need that. He looks the book up and down and then smiles.

"Thanks, Sianna."

"No pro-" I'm cut off by a distant rumbling and an orange glow. The Fortrex.