Chapter 4

My skull hurts. My vision is blurry. The knights. Where are they? I sit up, still in pain. My vision starts to clear out. I look around. The room is dark, some magma cracks in the walls. The magma makes my heart pound. It's not only because of my pyrophobia, but it's also the fact that the magma symbolizes something, that something being Jestro. The memories start flooding back, Jestro coming, Clay in the training room, being dragged outside, the sea of monster, and Jestro's obnoxious laughter. Tears start to fall, creating steam as they hit the small, fire lit cracks on the floor. I feel for my bag at my side, and I'm surprised it's still there. I can't feel my pocket knife, but the picture, the pencil, and the notepad are still there. I take out the picture and unfold it, my parents beaming up at me. It only makes the tears stronger. I stuff the picture back in the bag and pound on the makeshift stone door. 

"No, no no!" I scream as my sobs get louder and more violent. I finally give up, crawling towards the corner and cradling my head in my knees. I'm shaking hard. But my sobs won't calm down. Footsteps echo in the halls, and my door swings open, the silhouette of a jester walking in, slamming the door behind him.

I know all too well who it is.

"Would you shut up? I can hear you from across the castle and it's disrupting my evil meeting." But the sound of his twisted voice only makes my sobs louder. He covers my mouth with his ash dusted hand. "I told you to shut up! You're going to make the castle walls crack." I slap his hand, and he quickly draws it away.

"This is hell, that's what it is." I manage to sneer. He recoils.

"Watch your language." Jestro sneers back.

"How do you watch a language?" I dare to ask.

"Hey! This isn't supposed to be a joke." 

"Funny, you're the one in the jester costume." He suddenly draws his staff and brings one of the spikes close to my face. I lean back, but the spike gets closer. Jestro's smile turns into a twisted frown.

"Don't underestimate me." He says. My bones get cold. I nod my head. He looks at my little bag. "What's in there?"

"None of your concern," I mutter. It gives him all the more reason to shove his hand into the bag, no matter how hard I pull back. He pulls out the picture.

"Give it back," I shout. I don't want him to see it. He unfolds it anyway, and I can see his expression soften.

"These are your parents." He says. Although, it sounds more like a question. I nod my head. Jestro glances back at the picture. But then, he gives it to me. "Here." He says. I snatch it out of his hands, neatly folding it and putting it into the bag. He doesn't say much more, just tells me that I can wander around while I'm hostage, but he doesn't want me getting into trouble. He tells me that there are guards, and if I try to escape, I'll end up in here until he lets me wander around again. He says not to disturb the book. And then, he holds the door open for me.

"It's a trap." My mind yells, but I run out anyway, spinning around in the halls. Happy, that, at least, I'm not confined to a room anymore. Jestro watches me spin around the halls, and for a moment, just a few seconds, I can see him smile. Not an evil smile, but, a natural, comforting smile. But then, the smile disappears, as he walks down the halls, his cape flapping behind him. I stop swirling and watch Jestro round the magma-filled, brown hallway corner.