Chapter 37

I could barely sleep. I got an hour in, maybe? All night, I lay awake, waiting for him to attack me like he did the last time his eyes got like that. I would flinch at every sound and shudder at every footstep. At one point, I managed to find another burn on my body that I hadn't noticed from the fortress, and that sent me into a spiral of panic.

But the thing is, he never came.

I woke up the next morning and went to eat breakfast with everyone else. His eyes were still saturated, but he acted like everyone else. Laughing and talking casually. Smiling. I even talked with him, my mind still bubbling with paranoid thoughts. But somehow, he managed to catch the look in my eyes, and as I went back to my room, he caught up with me in the hall. We still have an hour before the knight's training starts. 

"Sianna," 

"Hm?"

"Is something wrong? You don't look OK." I laugh casually.

"Your eyes. They're doing the thing again,"

"Really?" He pauses. "Wow, I'm surprised no one noticed."

"You know?"

"Of course I do! There's a mirror in the guest room. I was a little freaked out at first, but nothing happened. So I rolled with it,"

"Maybe it's because you don't have your staff,"

"Oh no! I have my staff, I just didn't use it."

At this, I was taken aback. I had quickly assumed that the knights had confiscated the thing. But no! He still had full control of it and could have attacked. Jestro stops in the hall.

"When I tried to attack you, the other day, I had no idea what I was doing." 

"W-what?" The fact he mentioned that day was really out of character. Talking about uncomfortable things is uncomfortable for him.

"One minute we were talking and the next you were cornered by a bunch of monsters and my head really hurt."

"Jestro-"

"I'm really sorry," His voice cracks. "I didn't mean it!" 

"Jestro..." I look at his eyes. They're somehow even more saturated than before. "You need to go to the guest room. I think that the eyes thing is controlled by your emotions.

He stops talking and runs into the guest room. I head to my room as well, quietly locking the door so he doesn't notice my panic.

God, what the hell is going on?