Chapter 52

Jestro seemed a little interested, so he peeked his head into the doorway, then covered his ears. If he hadn't covered them, he would have been in for a treat. It's louder than anything I've ever heard! All the knights wear helmets, so the noise sort of blocks out, but nothing else. I can tell the difference between Monstrux's voice and everyone else's, so when a raspy, sore throat over-stressed voice rings through the hall, I make another mental tally mark. So far he's announced nine out of the eleven books. 

Two more. 

I'm terrified. I keep looking around and seeing that everything is unstable and made of fire, and that sends me into a downward spiral of everything I ever tried to keep away. I have to hold myself down to stop my shaking, my armor is on the verge of clattering, and my head hurts. It smells like burning and smoke in here. But I have to stay. 

I don't have much of an idea of where this fear came from, but there are a few vague memories. Like how I burnt my hand on the stove when I was little. Or when a forest fire almost burnt down Funnyton. But the memory that sealed the deal was the Library incident that started this whole thing. It was then everything clicked into place.

"The Book of Envy!" Comes a voice from the doorway. Another tally mark. Only one more book. Jestro frowns.

"I remember getting that one," He says to me. I nod.

"So do I, from the weird gold factory man, right?" 

"Yeah, on King Halbert's birthday..." Jestro looks back at the door and stops talking. 

I look around at everyone. They all seem nervous. Macy is silently pacing the floors. Axl and Aaron are playing an awkward game of rock paper scissors. Lance is just standing there. It feels weird for the knights to be doing nothing. So I stand next to Jestro and look on at the ritual. 

Wrong choice.

It's scary. I don't want to look anymore, so I go back to having a mental breakdown against the wall.

"And finally, the Book of Betrayal!" An ominous laugh comes from the doorway. Everyone perks up and goes to the door.

"Jestro, tell me when to throw." Macy aims her mace.

"What?!"

"Tell me when to throw!" She whispers sharply. Monstrux begins to move towards Clay. Closer. Closer... Jestro raises an arm.

"Now!" He yells.

The mace flings across the room, slamming into Monstrux's face, sending him backward and away from Clay.