Chapter 24

Making sure that the book isn't around, I close the door as Jestro eases himself out of his sobbing. I pull out the speaker and press the talk button.

"Macey? Lance?" Static. I can hear the giggle of monsters through it. "Hello?" 

"Help!" I finally hear Lance say, it sounds like he's...exercising? Impossible.

"What's wrong?" 

"They're going to attack King Halbert, and the monsters have locked me up in a pen!"

"Where are the others?"

"I don't know," Lance says. "We...split...can't..." The radio was failing on me!

"Lance! The radio isn't working!"

"Can't...you-" The radio went silent. I think he wanted to tell me he couldn't hear me. I sigh. I'm the only knight with even a chance at winning against Jestro.

Jestro.

My friend. I would never betray him like that. It's not his fault. But, at the same time, it kinda is. Jestro's roots are the book. If I can find the book, then maybe I can really figure out what's going on. I put the speaker back in my bag. I know the first place I should check. 

The big stadium room in the middle of the fortress. It was a long walk, but eventually, I made it. I was right. Indeed, the book was there. It didn't notice me at first. But then, I snapped my fingers and he eyed me. 

"What?"

"I need answers," I said firmly. The book laughed.

"Be more specific."

"What did you do to make Jestro like this, and what exactly is your plan for him?" I took a step closer to the book.  It suddenly seemed interested, as it had turned to face me.

"Do you really think I'm going to tell you? Ha! Nice try, kid." I reach behind me, but remember that I had left my scythe at the Fortrex. I frown.

"I haven't told him about this room yet. Why should I tell him about this conversation?" The book considers it.

"I'll tell you this." I smile slightly as he says it. "All you need is a book." I cock my head to the side, puzzled. He looks at me, eyes half-closed. It snaps into place.

"The book of evil," I mutter. The book smiles.

"It can turn anyone or anything." The book steps close to me. "Even the kindest people could never withstand it." He laughs. "Poor Joke Boy."

At the name "Joke Boy", I get really mad. The nickname doesn't suit him, it makes him sound stupid. I charge forward and kick the book's Keeper right in the balls. The Keeper drops the book and leans forward. The book, on the other hand, is left facedown on the floor, muffled words fill my ears as I leave them both to suffer in their pain.

It really was the book's fault. It was never Jestro. All of this is just some evil mind control. Once I figure out what's wrong with the speaker, I'll have to try and make contact.