Chapter 53

Monstrux catches itself and glares up at us. Clay gets himself to sit as upright as he can, looking at us, and smiling for a second. I glance at Jestro, and he backs up a little bit. 

"Attack!" Macey cries. All at once, monsters start pouring off of the towers and rows. We charge. My heart is just about ready to explode. How long can I keep myself from passing out? I whack the first few monsters that head my way. But soon, I'm engulfed, and I'm being backed up to one of the bridges. Without thinking, I jump back onto a thin and crumbling bridge and run to the table which Clay is chained to.

"Hi, Clay!" I wheeze, smacking a few more monsters out of my path.

"Hi, Sianna," He says as loud as he can over the screaming and slamming.

"Got yourself stuck in a sticky situation, huh?"

"Yeah," Suddenly, one of the monsters slams into my chest. I go flying into the floor, a sharp pain rattles through my body. I can feel myself skid across the small platform which the table is attached to, and I stop myself before I can fall off the edge. Tears form, and I can't stop my shaking now. This is it, you're gonna die! But then, a silhouette smacks a long silver spoon into the thing and it falls into the fire. I recognize the jester's hat. Jestro extends his hand to help me up.

"Are you OK?"

"Yeah," I rub my back. "Where's your staff?"

"I dropped it in the hall, so I grabbed this instead," He sends a few small magma monsters flying into the abyss. 

"You have to go, you don't have armor and it's dangerous."

"I'll be fin-" A magma ball burns his hand. "Never mind," He runs out back into the hall, clearing out a few more monsters as he goes. I look back at Monstrux and gasp.

It's bigger.

But how? Is it being powered by the monsters?

"The monsters are making it more powerful!" Aaron cries out.

"Monstrux!" Clay yells. "Attack the book!" Everyone nods and follows his command. He must be desperate to help. We all try to hit the book with our weapons. It sends a burst of magic, and we're all projected into the wall. I can feel the rock wall hit the same place where I fell before. Sharp pain bolts into my bones and my ear began to ring. I fall onto the ground flat on my chest, knocking the breath out of me. My scythe falls a few feet away from me. I reach out to grab it, but realize too late that my helmet isn't on; it falls directly onto my hand. I cry out in pain.

"It's too strong," Macy screams from the other side of the room. "We can't defeat it." As the ringing continues in my ear, I bow my head in shame. 

"It's time!" Monstrux laughs from the table. A purple light emerges, and Clay is being sucked into it, the chains on the table being the only thing holding him down. 

"Clay!" I scream. "No!" Out of the corner of my eye, I catch Jestro sobbing in the doorway. 

We're all about to lose a friend.