Chapter 23

It isn't too long before I'm woken up by a bang bang bang on the stone door of the room. I grudgingly lift myself up and open the door, it's a little heavy though. Jestro busts into the room, in tears, and starts slamming his head on the wall. 

"Stop it!" I cry out, and I put my hand where he's banging his forehead. When his head touches my hand, he stops. "What's going on?"

"The book wants me to attack the King. Today."

"What?!"

"I know." He sobs. "I don't want to, but I can't-" Bang. "-say-" Bang. "-no!" He slams his head into my hand. He seems like he's in pain. And he better be, because he's been slamming his head into my palm for the last minute, and he winces every time he does it.

"First, you need to stop slamming your head into the wall." He lifts his head off my palm. "Next, you need to tell me everything."

"From the start?" Jestro doesn't want to talk. I think back to when he was blasted out of the castle. 

"The start." Jestro looks down at the ground and sighs. He starts to explain about the people laughing at him, and the book. He explains that he didn't know what to do, so he took it along with his staff. He explains all the attacks and everything in between. I listen to Jestro the whole time. I didn't know that's why it started. Back with the knights, I thought he wanted to be evil all along.

I guess I was wrong.

"Now we're here." He finishes. Jestro's hands are shaking. I sigh, a good, relieved sigh.

"You have to do what the book says."

"What?!" It was his turn to be shocked.

"Jestro, think. What happens to you if you say no? He'll find out about this." I point at me and him. "You need to play along. Attack. I'll try and get to Macy or Lance." Jestro nods, and sobs again.

"I want to be good again." He chokes out. I look at his face. It still has his white face paint on it from the show, but it's starting to peel. His eyes have turned from their normal color to a gentle yellow.

"It's too late for that, but I'm sure there's a way." I put a hand on his shoulder to try and calm him down. He accepts it. Jestro smiles at me.

"I better get back, before the book-" He frowns. "-gets suspicious." Jestro gets up, rubs his eyes, and walks out of the room, but not before mouthing a quick "Thank you".  I pull out my speaker and get ready for a long explanation.