Chapter 22

I seem a little bit startled at myself. I'm trusting Jestro? The guy that killed Merlock and almost killed me? But, I realize that if I want to escape and take him with me, this is for the best.

I feel like the other knights would question me. And who could blame them? One of their own, trusting the bad guy. I shake my head. He isn't bad, and some of us know that. They're hitting the wrong target. honestly, if the had a sign on it that said: "I'm the real bad guy!", they still wouldn't notice, because all their focus is on Jestro. Ha. Look at me, defending a clown.

He's a nice clown. His performance at the graduation wasn't actually as bad as the others made out. If I was him, I'd flip out too. But maybe stealing an evil magic book was a bit too far. I take out my little notepad and stare at the blank paper before me. I decide on drawing a little magma monster, the round ones that are as tall as my knees. I fold up the paper and write the same thing on the back as I did the last time the Nexo Knights got a note. "To, the Knights. From, Sianna." I head off the find Jestro. He's in the main hall, kicking at pebbles and staring at the floor.

"Oh, so now you two are friends, aren't ya?" The book walks up to Jestro confidently.

"What! Um, no, I just didn't want the knights to take her back." I could tell right away that he was lying because a bead of sweat dripped down his forehead and he stuttered as he talked.

"Look, you need to focus on being evil." Jestro stares at the book. "Attacking King Halbert should be the only thing on your mind."

"Huh?"

"Attacking King Halbert?" Jestro is still staring at the book. I know that he'll do something stupid. Jestro backs away from the book. He looks like he's about to have some sort of mental breakdown. Jestro shakes his head softly, and before I can figure out what he's going to do, he kicks the book's keeper right in the shins, and it drops the book flat on its face. I can hear some sort of muffled cursing, but Jestro runs off.

Of course, in my direction.

I grab his wrist and pull him into an empty room. He's breathing hard. 

"I don't want to attack King Halbert." He finally whispers. I look at him. A lot of things have happened today. 

"You'll have to play along until we can figure something out. But for now-" I take out the note and scribble down a quick message next to my drawing. It reads; 'Be prepared for an attack on King Halbert'. "-we'll warn the knights. If you can get this to them." 

I press the note firmly into his hands, and he opens it up, reads my message, and then tucks the note into his hat. 

"I think I can do that."

"No, you can do that." He looks at me. Like nobody's ever encouraged him before. But then he smiles confidently and laughs.

"Definitely!" He assures me, and then leaves the room with a huge smile plastered onto his face.

I stare at the door, and then go to sit down in a corner. I haven't realized how tired I am, and in an instant, I'm fast asleep.