Chapter 10

I woke up to nothing. Everything was the same as it had been when I had fallen asleep. I had been expecting something to change, but it hadn't. I fumble around in my little bag and pull out the intercom Macey had given me. I press the talk button.

"Morning Macey," I say. I can hear a groan from the other side of the speaker, and the squeaking of a mattress.

"Why are you up so early?"

"Sleeping in a room made of magma kinda does something to you," I say. She laughs.

"Sleeping with a team member kidnapped also does something to you." She says casually.

"Haha, very funny," I say. "I have to go. Bye Macey!"

"Bye Sianna!" Static echoes in the room, and then silence. I sigh. I wonder if Jestro is awake yet. Putting the device back into my bag, I slowly open the door and step out into the hall. I'm greeted by a warm breeze and an eerie silence. Nobody seems to be up yet. The halls are hot, and I walk through them, sweating lightly. I head to the entrance hall and look out the closed gates. The two monsters that guard it stand tall, but take no notice as I step closer, and look at the distant castle. I can feel one look at me, but it does nothing. I walk away and decide to head to the upper levels. I climb the narrow staircase, and stop halfway up, to find a little window. The fact that there was a window there enchanted me. I put my arms on the empty window, and lean on it, looking out at the lava lands. I've never had a good look at the place since I've never actually been to the lava lands before. This is possibly my first time.

Stone spikes jabbed out of the ground, making what looked like a deranged mountain. Lava bubbled up out of pools, that were all over the lands. The ground was a dirty combo of brown and black, mostly made of obsidian and ash. The sky was red and orange, which faded into blue as it got closer to the other part of Knighton. I smile, the memory of the knights and my parents take over. I tear my gaze off the window and continue up the stairs. I head through the small doorway and end up in a hall like the ones downstairs. I sigh. His fort was the same. I take out my notepad, draw the hallway, and stick in on the door. I'm satisfied with my act of rebellion, the small act of vandalism. Then, I go back downstairs.

I think the first reason I've never come is because of my pyrophobia. Anything that involved fire was completely out of my comfort zone. The fear first developed after the library incident, when I found Clay the way he was, and the burnt up library. I guess it must have internally scarred me. But, since Jestro has started his attacks, the fact that I had to often encounter these magma monsters had made me more comfortable with, well, fire. I still get nauseous sometimes, but it's slowly getting better.

The other reason why I've never come is that my parents always told me that the lava land is the most dangerous place in Knighton. And, according to my research, it's true. For one thing, the lava could just consume you, considering the way it bubbles up like that. The ground could easily give away, and, the newest threat, this is where Jestro's lair is.

"What are you doing?" The sound of Jestro's voice catches me off guard, and I find myself standing across from him, in the entrance hall.

"I was just thinking," I say. "Nobody was up yet, so I wanted to wander around." He considers it and then smiles.

"The place is pretty great, isn't it?"

"Kinda. It's too hot." 

"That I can agree to." He wipes a bead of sweat off his forehead. Then, he twirls his staff in his hand. "Has Merlock ever tried to teach anyone magic?" He asks, looking me in the eye.

"No," I say, lightly shaking my head, even though pain rockets through my head again. I flinch. He seems to take notice, and concern flashes over his face.

"Are you okay?" He asks.  I try to nod my head again but stop.

"My head still hurts a little," I say. He lets out a small sigh of relief.

"It should be better soon." He says, turning to leave in a business-like manner.

"And since when did you become a doctor?" I tease. He walks a little faster.

"Since I became an expert in hurting people." Jestro casually responds, before rounding the corner, muttering something. I think about his answer. It did make sense, if he wants to attack people, he should at least know how long the pain will last. I let myself grin. I'm warming up to Jestro, slowly. Not only for my plan, however. I think I'll end up being his friend when this is all over. I shrug my shoulders and find a new hallway, walking through it. I guess only time can say when this will be over.