Chapter 15

Friend. I let the word settle in. The only friends I know are the knights. Apart from Lance. Lance is just, you know, weird.

"Honestly though, I should have just run away," Jestro admitted.

"I mean, at least stuff it's mouth with leaves first. Or take it back."

"Bury it." Jestro laughs. 

"In a 5-foot hole!"

"I mean, I'm not that tall."

"You could use your staff to lift yourself up." I point to it. It's been sitting in his right hand ever since he first got ahold of it. Jestro looks at it.

"See, this is why you're a knight. I could never be so creative."

"Stop putting this on you. It will only make you feel worse." I say flatly. He looks at me for a long time.

"But I always put things on myself." He says.

"And if you hadn't, maybe we wouldn't be here." I lift an eyebrow. "We could have met a different way." Jestro and I are both silent for a while. Suddenly, I hear static. Oh no, not here. I put a hand over the sound output.

"I'll be right back." I squeak and run out the door. I place myself a good few yards from the door and around a corner before I answer.

"Macy you idiot!" I huff out a breath. "He was right in front of me!"

"Sorry. How's it going?"

"Okay, I'm earning his trust."

"Sounds good!" I hear footsteps. And I can hear a door close.

"Oh-ho! What's this?" Someone says from the background. I can hear the speaker shift hands and Macy say something that sounds like hey! "Connections with the enemy? Wait till the others-"

"Lance," I scold, adding a hint of annoyance into my voice. There's dead silence.

"Sianna?!" He says, rather loudly.

"Keep it down, this is supposed to be secret."

"You're actually alive?"

"And what? Do you think Jestro is evil enough to hurt someone?"

"No, he's on the soft side, but still! No way!" He exclaims. "How long have you had the speaker?"

"Since you an the others came by for an attempted attack."

"Whoa." He says.

"Yeah, whoa. You didn't notice?" Macy snaps.

"I mean, I'm not one for noticing things." I can hear something jingle. "But I'll pay you if I can use it too." Nobody talks for a while.

"Fine, but nobody else can know." More jingling. I can visualize this happening in detail. Lance does this more times Jestro attacks towns. He's lazy and selfish. But he has a lot of money and will pay anyone to do anything for him. Once, I recall him paying me a hundred coins just to clean his room for him. It's insane how far he'll go to do nothing.

This time is different. He's paying Macy so he can do something. For the other knights, it would be a strange concept to grasp. Lance wanting to do something. But I get it. Mostly. Lance is...complicated.

"I have to go. Bye guys!"

"Bye!" They both whisper. The static of the speaker dwindles down to a soft hmmm. I take a deep breath. Macy should tell him Merlock stays out of this as well. Nobody should know. I forget what I told Jestro and begin to follow the wide hallway I found myself in. 

Honestly, the place isn't bad when you get used to it. You get used to the heat, and the smell of soot. I wonder how things are faring on the other side of the Kingdom. Jestro doesn't pull as many attacks as we think he does. Back at the base, we're always busy, so the time between the attacks seems short. But here, I have nothing to do at all, and in reality, he only pulls three or four attacks in a week.  A small ball-like monster stops in front of me. It looks like one of the monsters that dragged me out of the Fortrex. I take a few steps towards it.

"Hi," I say. It turns around and bounces away. Christ, I'm being really friendly towards everything here. Apart from the book, all he gets, and deserves, are sarcastic remarks and spit. I laugh out loud at the thought of spitting on the thing. Gosh, it must be late, because the sky seems like it's been covered with ash.

I find an empty room and quickly fall asleep.