Chapter 45

The other knights slowly catch on that we're driving to the Lava Lands, and they start training. I help Ava, Clay, and Merlock man the controls for a little bit, but end up training. I put on my armor. It feels heavy. Kind of like it did when I first tried it on almost a year ago. It was hard to move, but I eventually was able to practice my aim, using a larger piece of target scrap I found. I flung my scythe at the piece of painted wood, and the tip rammed into it, making a small crack. 

"I think I'll let you come here". He continues. The ceilings get progressively higher. We reach a doorway, and he opens it. Inside, a large empty room. Well, not really empty. Human and circle-shaped targets are spread across it. Along with some kind of an arsenal on the back wall. I can feel my eyes light up. I had no idea Jestro had to train his monsters to fight so well.

"Is this a training room?" I rotate myself in a full circle as I walk in.

"Yup." Jestro smiles. "I mean, not all monsters can fight. It also kinda just felt like it needed to be here. Evil fortress and all." He puts evil fortress in air quotes. I laugh. I find myself in front of the arsenal.

"Can I?" I pick up I scythe, like mine back at the Fortrex. Jestro nods his head yes, closing the door behind him. I look at one of the human-shaped targets. I had wanted to break Clay's nose earlier. I take the butt of the scythe and slam it into the target's "face". It cracks.

I can feel my eyes widen. Shaking my head, I keep going. The Fortex slowly gets hotter and hotter. I take my armor off the cooldown and sit on the floor, tired. I close my eyes for a quick second.  

"Do you need help?" He says quietly, making sure the book isn't here. Sure enough, I had seen it walk to the main hallway, away from us. I sigh in defeat. I wouldn't be able to lie.

"Yeah," I close my eyes for a second. My head is spinning and I'm starting to shake.

"C'mon." Jestro gets up helps me stand on my feet. "Let's get you away from here." I nod gratefully.

I blink. Maybe I won't be able to do this without thinking about my time at the Fortress. I get up and go back to the control room. Clay is sitting down at the table, looking through the knight's code, Merlock watching over his shoulder. That thing is like a bible for him. I sigh and look out the window.

We're almost at the Fortress, I can see it. From inside, there's a bright light, and even though the walls of the Fortex and ominous chanting can be heard. I think Clay just noticed because his head snaps up, and we look at each other.

We might be too late.