Chapter 40

I stared at the screen. It had already switched to the anchorman talking about Jestro's risky move. My breathing was unsteady and heavy.  I found myself running to the extra radios, hoping to listen in on the com.

"Clay? What's going on over there?" Lance asks.

"I don't know! Jestro launched the escape pod, but then jumped out of it, and-" Clay stammers.

"He jumped out of it?! Why?!" Macy questions.

"Don't ask me!"

"Bro, he's totally screwed. Who knows what Monsturx will do to him!" Aaron confirms.

"Nothing good," From Axl. Silence on the com. I throw it down on the table and head to the relaxation room. Of course, Ava and Robin have figured it out. 

"Did you watch the news?" Ava asks me upon my entry. I raise my eyebrow. "That's a yes,"

"That was wicked!" Robin pauses. "I mean, not in a good way, but still." He counters. I think about the situation for a second, before heading to the guest room; in case Jestro left anything behind that could help us rescue him. I walk out of the relaxation room, ignoring Ava and Robin, and into the hall. 

Monstrux could be at the Fortress right now. Jestro could be Monstrux right now.

I enter the guest room and scan it-

Holy crap!

Jestro left his staff right where it had been since yesterday, sitting on the bed. I impulsively pick it up. Looking at it reminds me of the Fortress. I can feel sadness pulse through me. No, anger. What on earth was he thinking? We have the book of Betrayal thanks to Jestro. Clay and I had a friend thanks to Jestro. We had important information, and a chance to win, thanks to Jestro. But now we don't have Jestro. I sink down to the floor and let my feelings consume me. Slowly, I start to feel sad, and then I cried, locking the door so nobody could get in.

Yesterday could have been the last time I ever saw him. And I was too busy scared that he would attack me to realize Jestro would make a stupid decision like this. I listen to the Fortrex open, people yelling at each other and talking and panicking. I get up, wipe away my tears, and head out to the front to meet them. 

"You might want this," I hold out the staff. Everyone looks at it. "Just in case,"

"What do you mean?" Lance asks. "None of us can use magic!"

I think about this, but suddenly remember teaching Jestro to attack with the end of the staff in the Fortress. I smile.

"There's more than one way to use a staff."