Chapter 38- it's an emergency

SONG JI-WON'S POV

"Let's take a break." I said, very tired myself after such a painfully long tutoring session. Test tomorrow, and we had a lot to go over.

"Do you want me to head home?" Jungkook asks quietly, how he seems to always talk now. So different than how he used to be. I can't help but feel really bad.

"No," I say quickly, feeling nervous in a guilty way. "I mean, if you don't want to you don't have to yet."

He nods and there's a moment of silence. "How are your grades right now?" I ask, probably the wrong thing at the moment. Our limited conversation, yet another reminder of how much we've quickly grown apart.

He scoffs a small, cold laugh, probably thinking the same thing. "They're alright." He replies, a kind of bored tone in his voice.

"How alright?" I ask lightheartedly to try and fix this mood. He shrugs, and it's kind of frustrating how bland he's being. Then again, I started it. "Can I check." I say, more of a slight demand than question.

We log onto his online grades, and when the screen loads up onto my computer, I'm beyond shocked. Speechless, even.

A subconscious smile spreads widely over my lips, and when I turn to look at Jungkook, I can tell he's trying to hide a proud little grin. I laugh.

"The lowest grade on here is a 90! You actually have all A's!" I exclaim. "This is literally amazing!!"

"Thanks," he replies. "It's your doing, anyway."

I scoff, still smiling. "I had no idea they raised so much. Why didn't you say anything?" I press, confused. I expected him to freak out and let me know immediately once his grades reached such a high level.

His eyes fully met mine for the first time all day, I notice now. "Well, we don't really talk much anymore." He says, his expression unreadable. My grin fades a little, and the slight curve on my lips feels fake now.

Suddenly he smiles faintly. "You remember when I got an 89 on the semester exam?"

A pang of nostalgia hits me- when we jumped all over each other in celebration, crazy excited that tutoring was worth it.

His gaze went to the ground. "If it was still like that you probably would've hugged me just now too."

I stare straight at him, genuinely feeling hurt by that statement. It pains him, too. I wish it could still be like that. He seemed to sense my sudden silence, and looked at me again. He faked a soft laugh. "Kidding."

But he wasn't, because I really had wanted to hug him just then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JEON JUNGKOOK'S POV

Happy,

Happy,

Happy...

I let out a strong, aggressive groan as I put down the huge weights I've been lifting and pant desperately. I collapse on the nearest bench and chug my water, slouching against the brick wall of the public gym. I feel like I'm on fire even though a coat of sweat veils me.

"I am happy for you..." I mutter under my breath. I've been trying to convince myself the exact same thing for hours now. It's been a long while since I've worked out for such a long time and so roughly, but so much has been bubbling up inside me that I need to get rid of it somehow.