Chapter 51- i need your help

SONG JI-WON'S POV

I hesitantly knock on Principal Choi's office door, 2 short bops. I was given a pass to head here in the middle of my 7th period, and I have a feeling I know what this little meeting is going to be about.

She opens up and smiles at me sweetly. "Hello Ji-won, good to see you."

I bow briefly before entering. "Good afternoon."

I wear a humble smile as I sit down across from her desk, hands in my lap.

"How have you been these days?" She asks while straightening some papers.

"Good, and yourself?" I reply. An easy lie.

"Fine, thank you." She says warmly. "And I wonder, do you know how Jungkook is doing lately?"

I blink and hesitate, but show no other sign of uneasiness. "I haven't spoken with or seen him for the past week. I believe he's in Busan at he moment, taking care of some family matters." I briefly explain, not wanting to get into any detail. She nods.

"Yes, his parents called and informed me. I completely understand his situation and want him to take his time, but I also don't want to burden you so much." She says. "Once he gets back, whenever that may be, it's your responsibility to catch him up in classes. It'll be a lot of work."

I smile tightly. "Yes, I'm aware."

She sighs. "I'm truly sorry for putting so much pressure on you, Ji-won. You're just such a phenomenal student and person, and I knew from the start I'd be able to count on you, even if something this extreme were to occur."

"Thank you, it's really no trouble."

She smiles fondly. "I know even you can't mean that. But you've done an excellent, and I mean outstanding job as a tutor this year. I'm amazed by how much one young girl can handle. You've hugely influenced Jungkook's behavior and academic status."

"Thank you, it's been my pleasure."

"I know at the beginning you were just a bit hesitant to agree with tutoring, but I guarantee you that it's all going to pay off. I've prepared several recommendation letters for you to submit to the colleges you've applied for."

"I really appreciate it!" I say happily. "Acceptance letters are coming in so late this year, so it's making me pretty nervous, waiting for them and all."

Suddenly a thought pops into my head, and I can't stop the words blurting from my mouth.

"Jungkook's grades and educational life have improved hugely this year... do you think it'll be enough to get him into a good university?" I ask, my voice getting a little quiet.

She thinks for a moment. "I'm sure colleges will admire his achievements, but they cannot ignore his past records. I'll admit, I'm still a bit worried about him. I don't want a student with so much potential to end up in a bad place."

I nod.

"He most certainly won't be on the same campus as you." She chuckles. "Neither will your friend Hoseok, I'm afraid, if that's what you were wondering."

I swallow the nervous lump in my throat. Of course I knew that, but hearing her say it aloud makes me lose any little sense of hope...

"I have very high hopes for you, though. Have you decided between University of Peking or Tsinghua? Oh, or University of Tokyo? I recall those being your top picks."