Chapter 52- the sneaky switch

SONG JI-WON'S POV

           I can't hold back my gentle gasp as Hoseok peels back his hands from my eyes. I blink a few times to adjust to seeing again, after going up an elevator and crossing rooms with my sight covered. A grin quickly spreads on my lips.

           "We're having a rooftop dinner?" I ask rhetorically, looking to Hoseok. He grins back, but oddly doesn't look as proud as I'd expect. On another day in this situation, he'd be cockily bragging about how he got this together. But no, rather than that he humbly nods and puts his hand on the small of my back, leading my forward to our table. Something seems a bit off, but I decide not to dwell over it.

          Our small yet classy table is right near the edge of the roof, looking out over our beautiful city. It's a breathtaking view, and goosebumps veil my arms in awe.

           "Hoseok, this is amazing." I chuckle softly, not daring to blink. "But there's no way in hell or heaven that it's free."

           He smirks a little while we sit down. "Well, it's free for us."

          My eyes widen and instantly shift to him. "You made your parents pay for everything? Was there really even a discount??"

          He laughs and ignores me. "Stop asking so many questions." Before I can retort, he calls a waiter over. I stare at him in disbelief, but scoff a chuckle nonetheless. This adorable, try-hard dumbass. It's really sweet of him, even if his parents' paycheck suffers.

            The waiter offers to take a few pictures of us and we gladly comply, doing a couple of poses, including a side hug. We always hug, basically every day, but in this setting, while Jungkook and I are having problems, I'll admit it doesn't feel quite right. Unfair in a way.

              The menu is huge, so I politely let the waiter know that I'll need a few minutes to decide. Psh, more like an hour. How am I expected to make a decision?

             Hoseok, on the other hand, orders right off the bat. "I'll have the Sundubu Jjigae, and a large samgyeopsal to share. Goguma mattang too?" He asks, looking to me for approval. Before I can even reply, he nods decidedly. "Yeah, let's add that. Ji-won, you probably want Japchae?"

          I gasp softly, trying to suppress my excitement. "They have that here?" I haven't eaten Japchae in so many years, but's it's always been a favorite of mine. The fact that he remembers makes me smile. The waiter quickly jots down our order and briskly walks away.

            "How the hell did you already know our whole order?" I ask somewhat suspiciously, eyeing him with a small grin.

            He shrugs. "I looked online beforehand." I shake my head and giggle.

          "You're the definition on extra. It's great though, really, thank you for all this." I say, softly nudging his feet with mine.

          He smiles back, but the grin doesn't reach his eyes, I don't see his small dimples. His gaze in clouded, when it's usually a beautiful, comforting shine. I desperately hope that it's something else, and not him still pondering his misfortune with me. I truly hope he can get past it. It has to be something else...

          What am I thinking?? He's my best friend, I'm allowed to voice my thoughts with him. No need to hold back.

           "Is something wrong?" I ask quietly, the question coming out a tad more shy than I wanted. He blinks, and in his short moment of hesitation, I know whatever he's about to reply with is a lie.