Chapter 5: You Give Love A Bad Name

Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
Darlin', you give love a bad name

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

They say that distance makes the heart grow fonder but in Danneel's case the distance was crushing her chest. Sometimes it hurt so bad it was hard to breathe.

No matter how much her chest ached Danneel kept reminding herself that it was only due to Draco and her's bond, and not because she had feelings for him. They were just friends, best friends and that was all.

Two weeks after the students of Durmstrang and Beauxbaton arrive all three schools gathered in the great hall awaiting to see who the three champions would be. And although Riley didn't get her chance to bring glory to Hufflepuff another member of her house did. The Hogwarts Champion was Cedric Diggory, a dashing 7th year who accepted the challenge with a smile.

The Beauxbaton champion was named Fleur Delacour. She carried herself with grace and indepence and seemed like the ideal choice for the tournament. Lastly, the Durmstrang Champion was none other, then the world renowned seeker Viktor Krum. No surprise there. 

However there was an unexpected turn of events, a fourth champion was chosen. He wasn't as dashing as Cedric, or as graceful as Fleur. But he was almost as famous, if not more then Viktor. No the fourth champion was not big, or dashing, or extraordinarily talented, but he did have a way of finding trouble. So despite being only 14 years old Harry Potter somehow wiggled his name into the Goblet of Fire and got chosen as surprise entry into the tournament. Nobody was happy about this, not even Harry himself, who was more annoyed than anything. Many tried to get him out of it but failed, once the goblet chose its victims they couldn't back out.

It was November now and the group of Slytherins only ever talked to Draco briefly in class. Pansy had successfully made it so that the only people Draco every really spent time with were her, Crabbe, Goyle, and Millicent. Leaving the rest of his friend group annoyed and bitter.

The day of the first task had arrived and the whole castle was at odds with each other. Hogwarts was split between there two chosen champions. Almost all of Hufflepuff was rooting for Cedric, along with the majority, if not all of Slytherin. Harry Potter had most of Gryffindor with some Ravenclaw and even Slytherin in the mix. No one seemed to know what exactly the first task was as Danneel and her friends ate breakfast.

"Reckon, we'll see Draco today?" Zara asks as she stirs her tea.

"Doubtful. Pansy's got him by the balls and her grips tight." Blaise mutters.

Danneel grunts as the pain in her chest increases, "Well let's not worry about that. What do you think the first task is?"

"I heard it's dragons," Cass smiles, "I want a dragon."

"Me too," Danneel agrees, "But dragon breeding was outlawed by the Warlock's Convention of 1709."

"Why do you know that?" Blaise asks.

"Because she pays attention in class," Zara interjects.

"Actually my parents had to repeat that phrase to me for several years because I really wanted a dragon when I was younger." Danneel explains.

Breakfast was interrupted by the usual screech of owls as the post came flying in. Danneel received 2 letters that morning. One was from her friends in America but the other had nothing on the envelope, no handwriting to distinguish who it was from.

Hesitantly Danneel opened it up to find a small piece of parchment, no larger than a chocolate frog card, sitting inside. Despite having no writing on the envelope the handwriting on the note was all too familiar.