Chapter 30: I Believe In Father Christmas

I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave new year
All anguish, pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear
They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on earth
Hallelujah, Noel be it heaven or hell
The Christmas we get we deserve

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

"So you four are just going to stay at the Castle for Christmas?" Daphne says.

"And Draco," Danneel adds as she flips a page in her book.

The five of them were all sitting by the fire lounging about before Daphne and most of Hogwarts was due to go back to their homes for the two week holiday. 

"Right," Daphne sighs and fidgets with her hands, "I wish I could host all of you for the holidays."

"Spoken like a true society girl," Cass chortles.

"It's the polite thing to do," Daphne retorts.

"Say where is the platinum blond prick?" Zara asks jokingly and glances around.

"I don't know," Danneel replies, "He kissed me after dinner and said he had things to do but he'd be back before I went up to bed."

"He's doing it again," Blaise states.

"Shut up Zabini," Cass hisses, and eyes narrow, "I don't want to think about Draco going back to who he was at the start of the year and I'm sure Danneel doesn't either."

"No one wants that," Zara cuts in, "Blaise is right to point it out. We need to make sure he doesn't retreat back in that version of himself."

"Agreed," Danneel mutters.

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

Danneel didn't see Draco before she went to bed and she stayed up until midnight. The morning was a blur as they sent Daphne off and it was announced in the Daily Prophet that there was a mass break out from Azkaban which included the likes of Bellatrix Lestrange, Lucius Malfoy and several other death eaters to escape. Danneel also received news that Draco had gone home without Cass or herself. More then a little hurt Danneel locked herself up in her room until lunch where Cass coaxed her out with a letter from her mother and Narcissa saying that Dumbledore was allowing her and Cass to spend Christmas Eve and Day at her Aunt Reagen's house, which was in two days.

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

"I can't believe this," Danneel mutters from the back of Dolly, "I only get two days. Two days with my family and I don't even know if I'll get to see my parents."

"It's better than nothing," Cass tries to comfort her.

"I know."

J.D throws Dolly in park and turns around, "I know it's not how you wanted to spend your Christmas. But I hope it's better than nothing."

"Thanks, J.D," Danneel says and gets out of the car.

The three of them make their way up to the door and J.D opens it to reveal a traditional Christmas eve spread and Kerrigan, Atlas, Reagen, Riley, Narcissa, and Draco all gathered around it.

"You're all here," Danneel cries as she runs to hug her parents.

Cass runs to her Aunt with equal joy and manages to wrangle a hug out of Draco. After tearful hellos, they all sit around the table and enjoy the warm well-cooked meal. Draco remains mostly silent as he sits in between Danneel and Cass. She's itching to talk to him and asks why he left without saying goodbye but by the end of dinner, Draco enlisted the help of her father and left with him before Danneel even got the chance to talk to Draco.

Instead, she was whisked away by her Aunt, mother, Narcissa, and Riley as they began to discuss wedding details, dresses, and colors, and cakes, and music were all being asked and shoved into Danneel's face as they hoped to make the planning process easier. Cass could sense Danneel's discomfort and anxiety and rescued her when it was all too much.

The two were sitting on the floor in the room they shared in the summer when an awful pecked at the window. Confused Danneel went and opened it and untied the message it was carrying.

"It's for you," Danneel says and tosses it to Cass.

"Who's it from? I don't recognize the owl?"

"Me neither. I don't know who would send an owl at," Danneel looks at the alarm clock, "10 o'clock at night."

"Oh my god," Cass cries and stands up, "Oh my god!"

"What's wrong Cass?" Danneel asks rushing over.

"I can't breathe," Cass gasps, "Oh my god!"

"You've got to breathe," Danneel says pulling Cass' hair back and off her neck.

"I can't," Cass gasps.

"You need too."

"It's Fred," She pants, "there was an attack on his family's house. It was death eaters."

"Oh god!" Danneel says, "Is he... are they okay?"

"I," She hiccups, "I don't know."

"What does the letter say?" Danneel asks.

"Nothing just that," Cass swallows, "There was an attack on the burrow."

"Who's it from?"

"I don't know. It doesn't say and I don't know the handwriting."

"Here's what you going to do," Danneel says taking her friend's hand in hers, "You are going to write a calm and sensible letter to a friend. Tell him that you got this anonymous note and that your worried and you miss him and you love him."

"I don't-"

"But you do," Danneel smiles.

Cass nods, "You're right. I need some parchment and a quill."

With Danneel's level-headedness she helped Cass craft the letter and have it sent to Fred. His response was almost instantaneously and Cass cried happily as she read it out loud.

Hey Cassie,

First things first I'm okay. My family's okay. Whoever sent you that note was telling the truth though. Death eaters attacked the Burrow after dinner and set fire to the downstairs, but we all made it out and everybody is healthy and accounted for. I'm sorry you had to hear about it that way though. I would do anything to hug and kiss and just hold you to help reassure you that I'm okay.

I hope I can see you soon love,

Fred

P.S I love you too.

"He's okay!"

"He's okay," Danneel reassures and rubs Cass' back.

"And he loves me," Cass squeals and loops her arm with Danneel's.

"And he loves you," Danneel smiles but a nagging feeling is in her gut as she wonders were Draco went.