Chapter 36: Smile

Smile, the worst is yet to come

We'll be lucky if we ever see the sun

Got nowhere to go, we could be here for a while

But the future is forgiven so smile

We're trying so hard to get it all right

But only if you're lonely at the end of the night

And I wanna be somewhere away from this place

And somewhere just a little closer to grace

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

Danneel thought that the last train ride to Hogwarts would make an excellent story for her future kids. One full of laughter, nostalgia, and warmth of the good ole days. Instead, it was dark, wicked, and depressing. The train was emptier than usual as worried parents pulled their children out, in fear of the impending war. Most of the upper-class Slytherin males very gone and it didn't take a minder ready to know where they probably were, a few of the female Slytherin population was missing probably along with the same reason. Or they were in hiding with foreign relatives.

Draco, Blaise, Theodore Nott, Crabbe, and Goyle were among the absent males while Zara and Daphne among the females. Cass and Danneel were all that remained as they sat quietly in their usual compartment.

Once off the train all 2nd years and up were shuttled into single file lines based on their house and marched into the school death eaters flanking on either side.

Cass reaches her hand behind her back and Danneel gives it a tight squeeze. They knew Snape was headmaster now but they never imagined he'd let death eaters into the school. Sure he was one of them but Danneel thought that at least the teacher side of him would show a slight bit of compassion and a sense of protection for the students, but she was wrong.

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

The next morning after an unrestful meal and sleep the students sat quietly in the Great Hall, the only thing that could be heard was the screeching of owls as the flurry of the morning post flew in.

A thick envelope landed in front of Danneel while she was eating and she slowly put down her fork and picked it up.

"Who's it from?" Cass asks.

"Five guesses who," Danneel drawls and turns it over to break the seal of the envelope.

"Draco."

"We have a winner."

"What's it say?"

"I'm getting there," Danneel cracks a smile.

Dani,

I'm so sorry I didn't visit as often as I should've. But he's been working me like a dog and my family is on thin as ice is. I'm sorry I didn't tell you that I wasn't attending this year, I tried so many times to try and tell you before but I could never get the right words out.

I should be able to see you every Hogsmeade trip but if something comes up I will let you know right away. I also knew that by now you know the Zabinis and Daphne are no longer at Hogwarts either.

Daphne and Zara are safe. Daphne is in France with her Aunt and Zara is safe with her mother in Italy. As for Blaise... his situation is complicated, but he's safe, and he doesn't take the mark but that doesn't matter anymore. He'll take anyone who's even the least bit loyal to him.

I hope you and Cass are doing well. I heard Snape's got the place overrun by death eaters the two of you should be okay considering your last names and house. Just keep your nose out of anyone's business but yours and Cass'.

I love you,

D.M

Danneel smiles and folds the letter back up before telling Cass, "Hey just wants to say sorry for not being around and says Blaise, Zara, and Daphne are safe. He also said we should be good as long as we mind our own business."

"Sounds like him," Cass mutters and stabs her breakfast.

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

Classes were a bear. Slughorn, Sprout, McGonagall, and Flitwick were the only remaining teachers from years past. The Defense against the Dark Arts Professor was the male Carrow and muggle studies, which wasn't even that, was taught by his twin, the female Carrow. Other death eaters were scattered in random teacher positions or just left to their own devices in the hall. Cass and Danneel followed Draco's instructs but were left angry at how the rest of the student body was being treated with the exception of the Slytherins. So by the time dinner was over Danneel was so exhausted. She couldn't believe it had only been a day when it felt like years.

Cass walks in slamming the door open and flops down on the bed next to Danneel, letter in hand.

"What's wrong?"

"It's Fred."

"Is he okay?"

"Yea," Cass groans he's just being a dick."

"What happened?"

"He sent me a letter. He and George have been forced to close shop and go in lockdown at their flat although they're still taking mail orders. But that's beside the point. He said that we can't write or see each other for my safety. MY safety as if I need protection. If anything I should be protecting him."

"Cass..."

"No! Where does he get off saying he's essentially almost breaking up with me for my protection. I can handle myself and after everything... especially in the summer..."

"You want to tell me something Cassiopeia?" Danneel looks knowingly.

Cass glares at her, "First don't call me Cassiopeia. Second, you already know. I don't have to tell you, and wipe that smug look off your face you did it to this summer."

"Fine," Danneel smiles, "As for your lover's quarrel. Fred is not being a dick he's just being a worried guy in love who doesn't want you to get hurt. But like most men, he is stupid and goes about it the wrong way. And you are not broken up so that's a positcec. If it makes you feel any netter. If Draco or I weren't married and didn't have this bond thing he'd definalty do the same."

Cass nods, "I thought the bound would go away consinerinf you got married and you know."

"It will. It'll still be there like it was before during the first year but each year after it'll fade and become less stronger but it will never go away. Just the time we are allowed to be separated will decrease."

Cass nods, "interesting."