Chapter 38: Centuries

Some legends are told

Some turn to dust or to gold

But you will remember me

Remember me, for centuries

Just one mistake

Is all it will go down in history

Remember me for centuries

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

By the time March rolled around Danneel was done minding her own business. The last straw was Carrow Male wanting to perform the Cruciatus Curse on a First-year and she refused so she was made an example of. That curse had her sore for days.

Danneel found herself on more than one occasion with a split lip or scares littering her arm from several nights of detention. When she wasn't bleeding and tending to her own wounds Danneel was brewing potions and slaves to help the other students who also met the Carrows' wrath.  It only was made worse when Danneel lost her impulse control Cass, who had gotten sent home.

So Danneel was very much alone which prompted her to go in search of a certain redhead. She found the girl just as worse as Danneel looked and felt eating lunch in the Great Hall.

"Weasley," Danneel states.

The red-haired girl stops talking to Neville and turns to face the 7th year Slytherin, "What?"

"Can we talk?"

"I don't know," Ginny glares, "How do I know I can trust you?"

"Well-"

"She's taken the Cruciatus curse almost as many times as we have Ginny," Neville cuts in.

"Really?" Ginny hums.

"And she's making potions and slaves for cuts and stuff for the others who have been injured."

"Well," Ginny says, "That's good enough for me. We can talk but not here."

"Agreed," Danneel says, "Meet me by the Room of Requirement at 7."

Ginny scoffs, "And get caught."

"You've done it before. I have faith that you'll be there. Besides your Fred and George's little sister," Danneel smirks, "I'm sure you can figure something out."

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

"So what do you want to talk about?" Ginny says as she walks around the room, "This looks different than last time."

"I know I made it like this," Danneel says and walks toward the hanging hammocks and blankets and shelves on the left side of the room, "I was thinking this side is could be for healing and sleeping." She then walks to the right side of the room which is pretty much cleared out with the occasional practice dummy, "And this side can be for practicing spells and such."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying let's reform the D.A and expand it. I can't deal with school anymore but it's not like I can leave and I've seen how close the Carrows or someone else is too killing you and Neville.  And I know despite your big bad Gryffindor spirit you both can't take much more of it," Danneel continues, "This could be a safe haven for students. And the ones who still go out and get hurt I can stay in here all day and take care of them on the left side of the room. And I was thinking you could..."

"Teach them on the other," Ginny finishes, "Like Harry did."

"Yea. I've seen you cast some wicked hexes and can't think of a better teacher right now to teach the young ones how to defend themselves."

Ginny looks around before sticking out her hand, "Let's do it."

Danneel smiles and shakes it.

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

Ginny spread the word and the Room of Requirement soon filled with students from all houses and years. Danneel was like a real mother hen taking care of all the injured and making sure everyone had something to eat. Some of the upper-year girls, and a few guys, decided to help Danneel and worked as makeshift volunteer nurses. There were few students who stayed all the time with Danneel but as it got closer to the end of the year that number grew. The only downside of Danneel being away from the Carrows was that she no longer got mail. At first, Ginny tried to grab it for her but got caught by the Carrows and Danneel said she wasn't to do it anymore.

As for Ginny, she taught the students the basic spells and charms and even some easier hexes. She spent a lot of time in and out of the room. Ginny went out every couple of days to get more supplies and to see if anyone needed Danneel's services. Ginny too had many helpers that included lots of past DA members, mostly who were Gryffindors.

Danneel and Ginny grew to be somewhat of close friends during their time of refuge. Both were missing people who were fighting and it was nice to seek comfort in someone who knew what the other was going through.

One day in late April Danneel was caring for a 2nd-year girl who was shoved by an upper-year Slytherin causing her to hit her head. She had the smallest cut but Danneel wanted to make sure she didn't have a concussion so she kept her for the day. The door opened and Danneel's head jerks up but sighs in relief once she sees the familiar red hair.

"You okay, Ginny?" Danneel says putting her hair up.

"Yea," She sighs, "Don't feel like learning today, so I deiced to do some scavaging and managed to snag this," She smiles holding up a small bottle of Fire Whiskey.

"Damn," Danneel laughs and walks over to her, "Who'd you "scavenge" from?"

"Ole Sluggy," Ginny smiles, "Carrows had a bigger bottle but..."

"We don't need drunk first years," Danneel laughs.

"Exactly, figured it could just be for us. You've been working like a dog."

Danneel shrugs and goes to get to cups from her medical shield, "I don't mind, it's what I was going to do anyway once I graduate. It's just some hands-on experience."

Ginny nods and pours them each a bit, "How are you?"

"Fine."

"Danneel."

Danneel sighs, "I'm homesick. I miss my friends. I miss Draco. I miss my parents."

Ginny takes a sip, "I miss all those things too."

"Have you heard from Harry?" Danneel teases.

"I don't know what you mean," She says tinging pink.

Danneel takes a sip, "You're not so secretive as you thought you were last year. I noticed at the end of the Quidditch Cup and because Fred told me."

"You talked to Fred!?"

"Not recently," Danneel sighs, "Last I heard from was in the Summer. Although he did send Cass a letter at the start of the school year saying they couldn't write or see each other until this was other. Practically a breakup just without the exact words."

Ginny scoffs, "Harry did the same thing to me during the summer."

"Boys are stupid," Danneel says and holds up her glass.

"Extremely," Ginny adds and clinks hers against Danneel.

Ginny and Danneel spent the rest of the school day sipping and talking. They finished the whiskey long before the students started filing in and then it was back to business as Danneel became like a mother to all.