Chapter 14: Winner Takes It All

I was in your arms

Thinking I belonged there

I figured it made sense

Building me a fence

Building me a home

Thinking I'd be strong there

But I was a fool

Playing by the rules

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

The rest of the summer was delightful, Danneel and Draco became closer than ever and Cass came home two weeks before school started. Danneel's parents were still away even though they said they'd be back to see her off she really doubted it. The week before school Draco, Danneel, and Cass all met Zara, Blaise and Daphne in Diagon Ally to go school shopping.

A week later they were all on the train headed to Hogwarts and talking excitedly in their compartment, and like Danneel expected her parents couldn't make it.

"Danneel stop looking forlorn out the window," Zara pleads as she nudges her friend's shin.

"Sorry I'm just sad, I don't know why I knew they wouldn't come but I still had some hope-"

"Screw them!" Cass declares and shakes Danneel's shoulders, "They still love you but they need to a reality to check because their amazing, fabulous daughter is the Slytherin's motherfucking prefect!"

Danneel smiles and buries her face in Draco's side, "Stop it's not that big of a deal. I don't even know why I was picked I've been at the school for a year."

However, Draco shifts away and Danneel tries not to seem hurt.

"Oh please," Daphne says rolling her eyes and filing her nails, "Who else were they gonna give it too? Cass?"

"Hey!"

"I'm just saying Cass, you have the grades but you are far too troublesome. Zara and I are smart but not prefect smart. And let's be honest the rest of the Slytherin 5th year girls are duds."

"She's not wrong," Blaise says putting his arm around Daphne. "Although I did think Nott would give Draco a run for his money."

Draco scoffs and leans forward, "Please Nott is all talk. I was the clear choice. You just wish you were as good as me Zabini. Now, if you'll excuse me Danneel and I have prefect rounds."

"Yea, we'll catch up with you guys later," Danneel smiles and follows Draco out.

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

Danneel and Draco got separated during rounds so when they were done she went looking for him. She found him in an empty compartment but with his face attached to someone else. Danneel lets out a small gasp and turns quickly around and rushes to the compartment where her friends are. She flings the door open, interrupting her friends' conversation and goes to her luggage overhead and starts rummaging through the front pocket.

"D what's wrong?" Cass asks going to stand next to her friend.

"Nothing," She forces out and her hands grasp what she was looking for and pulls it out.

"Well, something is if you're smoking," Zara points out as Danneel sticks a cigarette between her teeth and lights it.

Danneel takes a drag before answering, "Okay, if I'm going to tell you Blaise needs to leave."