Part twenty nine

//song recommendation for the chapter is "Skinny love" by Birdy. It is a beautiful song that makes sense further in this chapter.//
++highly recommend this song. I've loved it for a long-long time!++

(Ethan's p.o.v)

I woke up at 7 am, confused by my surroundings, I look up and see golden fairy lights on the walls, complemented by small Polaroid pictures. It took me a moment to realise that I was in Maddison's bedroom. I look down to see that her body was still attached to mine. Her legs were completely interlocked with mine and the palm of her hand was face down on my stomach.

I knew I wasn't going to be able to go back to sleep, so I slowly slip out of her grip. I take her hand off my chest and carefully slip my legs out from hers. She groans as I stand up, her body tucking into a ball. So I grab her blanket and laying it over her tense body, she immediately relaxed as the warmth from the blanket hits her.

I decided that I wanted to go on a jog, since I wasn't able to go on one last night. I slip on my shoes, and grab a grey hoodie I found in the draw of Grayson's stuff. It's cold out here in autumn, so I didn't bother changing out of the sweatpants I was wearing to sleep in.

I grab my earphones out of the pocket of my shorts that were folded on the floor beside the bed, untangling them as before pushing them into my ears. I grab my phone off her bedside table.

I make sure to be quiet when leaving the house, because it would be unfair for me to wake her up. After plugging my earphones in and hitting shuffle on my favourite playlist, I sigh, and begin my run. The sun had only just started to rise, creating at gloomy golden glow across the street. It was cold too, small puffs of vapour come out of my mouth as I breath steadily.

I normally go on runs if I feel stressed, or if I feel like I need an escape. I'm not sure why I went today. I'm pretty sure it's just because the feeling of being free is soothing.

I think the main reason I came on this run was because of there being too much on my mind. Such as my dad being ill, and Maddison struggling, but not telling everyone. I just, don't really know what to do right now. Running is like a stress relief in a way.

Sometimes I feel so free that I just run and stop in parks and places for hours. Forgetting about the real world and school. And I completely understand that this makes Grayson worried, but in a way, it makes me less worried.

I think we are going to be able to go see our dad soon. Our mum has stayed the hospital with him, but Grayson and I haven't been allowed to go see him yet.

(9:00Am)

I had been running around for around 2 hours now, just completely freeing my mind off things. That's the good thing about jogging, you forgot about the real world for a moment, just leaving you and your thoughts.

I make my way back to Maddison's house. Admiring the scenery around me. I watch brown leaves dance around the damp floor. The sky clear of clouds, just the weird white trail lines that planes release, crossing over each other.

As I turn the corner, passing onto our quiet street. As I approached closer to the house, I see a familiar black and red car pulled up on my driveway. My jog slows downs as I walk down the short concrete path leading to Maddison's house.

As I look over at my house, I see James standing there, leaning against his car facing towards my house. I try my hardest to ignore him as I walk up the short steps leading to Maddison's door. But I was quickly interrupted.

"Ethan?!" He called out, just as I was about to open her door. "Please can wee talk?" He says, pushing him self off his car. I decided this was the right time to play the 'harsh card.'