part sixty eight

(Maddison's P.O.V)

"So guys..." Amelia says and she sits down at the cafeteria table. "I was wondering. When are you guys gonna start packing for the skiing trip." she asked.

"Holy shit, i forgot about that trip." Darius says as he shovels a chocolate covered donut in his mouth. "When even is it" His mumbled through his full mouth.

"You're so gross" Jade scoffs looking over at him as we laugh.

"I think it's in two weeks time." Charlie says. "We have plenty of time to pack."

"No? you guys, the trip is next week." Katya says. "I spoke to Mr McCall first period, he reminded me it was next week." The look of shock on our faces was hilarious.

"Hey guys, what are we talking about?" Emily says in a high pitched fake voice as she slides onto the seat directly opposite me.

"Just the skiing trip." Katya says casually. Amelia, Nate and I all make awkward eye contact, knowing that the trip was discussed before Emily came along. No one said anything for a moment until Emily spoke again.

"Oh, cool." Is all she said, which was weird because she wasn't rooming with anyone else. She swiftly moved the conversation on. "So... where's Ethan today?" She asked casually as she bit into her sandwich. We all look around at each other at the table in a silent moment of realisation.

"I don't actually know. He didn't show up to practice,?so i just assumed it was because of james. So me being the nice team captain i am, i let it slide." Darius said with a confused look on his face.

"He's probably staying at home with grayson." Amelia shrugs. "Mads you were with him last night? Did he mention staying at home or anything?"

"No, he didn't mention it, but there's no way grayson could come in so he's probably taking care of him." I tell them as my thoughts track back to last night. "I'll go over there after school, check on them." I tell them.

The conversation at the table built up about other things and I just sat in silence, looking down at the half eaten turkey sandwich sitting in front of me, regretting even starting to eat it. I was only eating it because i have reasons to believe that people are starting to notice my eating habits.

"Oh, Maddison, can i talk to you for a second?" Nate asks, nodding his head towards the the leads outside from inside the cafeteria. Without question i got up out of my chair and followed him as he lead me outside.

"Hey? what's going on?" i question him.

"I got him arrested. My mums boyfriend has been charged for illegally selling and buying drugs as well as domestic abuse." He smiles out of relief. "It may not be for a long time, but i'll be able to go back to my dads house because i know her boyfriend won't be able to look for me anymore. I'll be able to see my little sisters"

"Nate...that's amazing!" I exclaim pushing myself onto my tip toes to hug him quickly. "How did you do it?" i ask him with a bright smile on my face.

"I just anonymously called the cop and sent them to her house and i guess they caught him at the wrong place at the wrong time." He told me, still smiling.

"I'm so happy for you. You can get your stuff from my house after school, or whenever you want." I explain to him. "I'm so happy for you. Just please stay safe. And i know it may be hard, but keep away from the drugs. I know you, Nate, and i know that the guy i know is strong enough to get through it."

"Thank you Maddison. I mean it. I'm so grateful that you let me stay in your house, and when i have the money i will pay you back-"

"No stop, you don't have to do that. Honestly. My mom plays for the house." I tell him