Thirty one

(Maddison's p.o.v)

A bright light flooded into my eyesight. I squint, covering my eyes with my hands as I my face scrunches up, attempting to adjust to the white light. I hear distant voices talking, and a constant beeping sound.

"nothing too serious, just try not to put pressure on it. And remember d-"

"-do the exercises you told me to do! I know." I hear Grayson's voice say, or was it Ethan? I wasn't sure due to the irritating sound of loud bangs, clatters and beeping. "Uh, doctor?" He says. Doctor?

And that's when the smell hit me. The smell of plastic, rubbing alcohol and bitter medicines. I can hear harsh, loud hacking coughs and crying. The smell of rubber gloves and shitty food was overwhelming. The cold bar either side of the bed sent shivers down my spine as I grabbed onto them, using them to sit up, my eyes fully adjusting to the white light. I knew I was at the hospital.

"Nurse?" The doctor called out as he approached my side. Another nurse came in and stood over me. I squinted as in looked at her. She was a short old woman, with prominent wrinkles and curly ginger hair. She wore a blue nurse dress, holding a tray of needles on it.

"Oh my goodness, your up." She exclaimed. I look to my right and see Ethan sitting on a counter top with a white bandage on his hand. He was looking at me intensely as I looked around the hospital room.

The nurse placed the tray down, grabbing a needle before slowly injecting it into my upper arm. I wince in pain as she does another one.

The nurse started to bombard me with all sorts of questions, such as 'Do you know your name?" "How old are you" "where do you live" "What high school do you attend?" All of which I answered easily with no hesitation. I feel my self getting really hot and bothered, becoming very frustrated by her presence.

"Can you, give me a minute. I just feel really stressed right now." I can hear the beeping on the machine I was hooked up to, going faster. The nurse nodded her head, grabbing her tray and leaving, followed out by the doctor who was talking to Ethan. I sigh as they close the door behind them, The only sound heard was the beeping of my heart rate monitor. Ethan passed around the room, looking at the different files and stuff in my small hospital room.

"How long have I been here?" I ask, my voice coming out a lot weaker than I expected. He looked over at me and then back at a specific file, covered with   brown card.

"Just over a day." He tells me, his fingers tracing over the words written on the sheets of paper inside a brown file.

"Do you know what happened?" I ask, rubbing my eyes, then running my hands through my hair.

"Doctors believe you had a minor seizure, and then you hit your head when you fell." He looks over at me again. "They believe it was either due to stress or a lack of prescribed medication, or an intake of too much medication." He says walking over to me.

"I don-" I paused, remembering the problems I had been facing with my medication Dr.Monty put me on.

"Maddison. Have you been taking your pills?" He asked softly, sitting on the edge of my hospital bed. I sit up in the bed, looking around at all the different things my body was hooked up to. "Hey, look at me." He says as I look down at the huge needle that was pumping a fluid into me. "Have you been taking them?" He repeats slowly.

I nod my head hesitantly, but I was quick to stop. "I. Uh, I hadn't b-been taking them,  but last night I-I did." I tell him, leaving our key information.

"How many did you take?" He asked in a serious tone. I look down at my hands, and then to the needle and tube that was deep into my arm. I bit down harshly on my bottom lip. "How many did you take?" He said again, raising his voice at me slightly.