Part fortynine

(Ethan's p.o.v.)

The setting sun casted a golden glow across the whole of the festival. Its was warm, but obvious that the cold was going to come flooding in soon. Rays of bright, colourful lights scattered over the stage as a solo singer danced around the stage, entertaining the small groups of people who had arrived early, including us. Young teens, around our age, were sitting on blankets and chairs in the vast space in front of the stage. The vibes were chill, and people danced calmly to the music flowing through the speakers, the bass making the ground vibrate. It wasn't that busy for now, but judging by the size of the land booked out for the festival, it was clearly going to get a whole lot busier. There was a few stalls pitched up, selling things like cotton candy and donuts, but most were selling alcohol. There was a few empty plastic cups and bottles scattered on the floor, only making me wonder how difficult it would be to clear up after and event like this.

Emily grabs my arm and pulls me into the direction of where the whole of out group was going, mainly because I was too busy soaking in the atmosphere of the festival we were stood in. We ended up walking straight towards one of the bars that sold drinks. "Who's idea was it to get alcohol first?" I ask,watching as the person behind the stool handed plastic cups filled to the brim with alcohol to Amelia and Charlie.

"Amelias!" Pretty much everyone said at the same times

"Shut up and have fun while it lasts." She says, turning around with two cups in her hands and a bright smile on her lips. "Here." She said, handing one of the cups to Emily, who, for some reason, still had her hand wrapped around my upper wrist.

"Fair enough." I say, pulling my arm out of Emily's grip as I walked to the man at the stool. I hold up two fingers, indicating that I wanted two drinks.

"It's lucky we got here before it gets busy, otherwise we would have been queuing for ages just to get one drink." Charlie said, looking back at the queue that was slowly getting longer.

"He's right." Nate's said as he hobbled to order himself a drink, using the hand that wasn't gripping onto his crutch to place his money on the stools counter. "Plus. Alcohol might help numb the pain." Nate says, pointing to his side.

"It's still hurting?" Maddison asked softly, walking closer to him.

"Yah, I guess it's a part of the whole healing process. You know... if I move to fast it hurts." He said, in the same calm tone that Maddison used. "And I forgot to take my painkillers before I came out." He admitted.

"Oh, I have some Aspirin in my purse." Maddison says, reaching down into her purse.

"Wait." Emily said just as Maddison was about to open the zip to her bag. Maddison stopped, and her eyebrows furrowed. Emily reaches into her pocket and grabbed something, passing it over to Nate. "I already have some opened." She said, giving him some Aspirin before Maddison could.

"Okay then." Maddison said quietly, zipping her purse back up.

I turn back around and grab the two cups from the guy behind the counter, before spinning on my heel to face Maddison. "Here." I say, handing one of the cups out to Maddison as I walk away from the front of the queue since the line had built up a bit more.

"Thanks." She said quietly walking beside me. "But I-uh. I don't really trust, um. Cups...." She trails off.

"Cups?" I laugh slightly at how strange she sounded. But my smile faded after seeing that she was dead serious. "Wait? Your serious?" I say softly, my eyebrows furrow.

"I guess that's one way you could put it." She looked down. "I think it's just that... after your party. You know, when James put them pills in my cup. It just makes me scared how easy it is to... I guess, drug vulnerable people. I'd just feel more safe drinking from a bottle." She admits. She looks back up at me before speaking again "It sounds stupid I know. But-"