Part thirty nine

(Maddison's p.o.v)

The waiting room. A place which rightfully attempts to completely contradict the real reason people were there in the first place. A place where pictures of flowers and beautiful scenery were hung against the old yellow tinted wallpaper, trying its hardest to brighten the mood of those enclosed in the small room. A place where people twist and turn in order to avoid touching those sitting on chairs beside them, the same padded chairs that offer little comfort to the person sitting in it. And don't even get me started on the smell. The smell of medicine, plastic, coffee that spewed from the over flowing trash cans and the sudden whiff of antiseptic hand sanitiser that tingles your nostrils every now and again. The thing that frustrates me the most about the tiny rooms is the weak excuse of a coffee table which holds copies of leaflets and magazines, each promoting health issue help.

The whole room completely drags down my mood, making me feel worse than the reason that I'm actually here in the first place.

•-•
Luckily for us, the waiting room wasn't that busy, there was only a few other people.

"E, will you stop!" Grayson's grunts out of frustration due to Ethan's constant leg tapping. The tension between the three of us was thick, making it painful to even look at them. I knew that both of them were thinking of the worst situation possible. "Sorry." Ethan mumbled after stopped his shaking. He sighs and leans back, running his hand through his hair.

"Please stop." He sighed, one of his hand laid over mine that we place in my lap. I look down at his hand, raising an eyebrow as I look back up at him, his eyes were still closed. "Stop what?" I say.

"Your doing that thing." He told me as he turned his head to look at me, his eyes opened as he did so. My eyes flutter back down to my hands, knowing what I was doing. "Doing what thing?" Grayson questions from opposite us, his eyes darting between Ethan and I.

"She's doing the ring thing." He said as his hand slowly dropped of of mine. "You do it when you're nervous. And you being nervous is making me feel more nervous." He sighed before his leg begins to tap again. I twist my ring back onto my fingers as cross my arms over my chest in order to prevent myself from fiddling with it.

"Uh- Sean Dolan visitors?" A Doctor calls out after reading the name of a clipboard. Ethan and Grayson immediately stand up, and I slowly emerge from my seat, anticipating what he was about to say. "Why don't we take a step outside." He said.

It was those few words that could literally tear someone apart, and I mean that. Who knows what's gonna come out of the doctors mouth after they say that. It could be good news, or it could be bad news, who knows?! The last time I heard those words, it's was t good news, at all. It was in fact one of the worst sentences I have ever had to hear. I will never forget that god awful moment when the doctor said 'I'm so sorry, we tried our best.' And the heartbreaking look on my mother's face. It's things like that that tear people from the inside-out.

"Are you all family?" He asked as he approached us with his clip board in his hand. Grayson looked over at me and then back at the doctor. The twins nodded before I spoke.

"No, I-uh, I'm just a friend." I say, in crossing my arms. The doctor looked up at me and sighed, indicating that I wouldn't be able to hear what he had to say.

"She can come and listen right?" Ethan says quickly. The doctor shook his head and Ethan huffed.

"E, it's fine. I need to head back to school now anyway, lunch break is almost over." I say out of disappointment, knowing that I won't be able to be there for them after whatever the doctor says. "I'll get Amelia to pick me up, you two can drive back in my car." I say and I pull my keys and my phone out of my pocket. I hand my keys to Grayson before calling Amelia.