Serendipity

Serendipity; a chance occurrence of events in a beneficial way.

C H A P T E R   F O U R 

The first week of college passed in a blur. With all new teachers and their respective never-ending assignments, before I knew weekend had notified us with its arrival.

I was sitting on the floor, with the pile of papers concealing the existence of my legs, I was trying to type a report and study for a test at the same time, assuming that I very casually owned the ability to multitask, but with the cap of my highlighter stuck between my lips and my eyes glued to the screen of the laptop, hoping to find an answer to my query, my brain had pretty much gone haywire.

I had been sitting like this from the past four hours, and the work just didn't seem to end. Right then, Scar walked out of the shower, the towel in her hands frivolously trying to finish the task of drying her hair, gave me an amusing smile after noticing the mess I had made. She was wearing casual black leggings with a loose black sweatshirt which looked very comfortable to be in.

I freed the cap of the highlighter from between my lips and said. "Going somewhere?"

"Aren't I always?" she chuckled casually shrugging her shoulders.

I shook my head in amusement, and she went on. "Yes, I am going somewhere, but not without you," she smirked.

"Oh no, I have a shitload of work pending. I can't afford going out tonight," I tried to convince her, knowing priorly that I would fail, since its Scar who needs convincing, but I decided not to give up without a fight.

"Come on, Syd. You've been sitting here doing this forever. Don't be such a spoilsport," she whined.

"No Scar, I really can't. I am gonna get screwed if I don't study for the test."

"You have another day to study for the test, and I know you finished studying most of it the same way I know you finished the report as well because you already did half of it before. So please?"

I mean sooner or later, I had to give in. If there's one thing I learned in a week, it's that no one can last in front of Scarlett.

"Alright fine, I will go with you," I rolled my eyes at her.

She completely ignored that and smiled triumphantly. "Yay! You're awesome; I love you," she clapped her hands.

"Where are we going anyway?" I asked.

"Oh! We are going to Noah and Jordan's apartment for a movie. It's this thing we used to do when we were in high school on every weekend."

"Hell no, there's no way I am going to Noah's apartment. I can't stand him," I snapped.

"Okay, I know you both did not start off on the right foot but...."

I cut her off. "There is no start with him. He cannot be civil with me. All he does is spit snarky comments at me, and also I don't wanna intrude your lil tradition."

"Bullshit, Jordan will be more than glad I got you along. You are not intruding; you're a part of this just like you'll be a part of 100 other things like this, now that you're my roommate and I told you before Syd, Noah is a little complicated. You both cannot keep doing this, you're my friend, the only person I feel like I can trust around here, besides those two idiots and he's my cousin, put yourself in my shoes and try to understand that. I can't really 'not' hang out with either of you. So please, for god's sake, just give that boy a chance," Scar spoke in one breath, waggling her hands in the air. It felt like she'd just ran a marathon. But she did make a fair point, because of me and Noah, she was the one who got caught up in the middle.