Apricity

Apricity; the warmth of the sun in winter.

C H A P T E R     T H I R T Y - E I G H T 

(A/N: Alright, so if you haven't read The Fault In Our Stars yet, there's a spoiler in the second last paragraph of the chapter, just a heads up!)

Noah's POV

This was probably the last thing; actually, you know what, I would probably not do this even if the world was ending and it was the one thing that could save me. But when it came to Sydney, it didn't matter. If it concerned her, I would do it a hundred and one times. 

"We need to talk," I repeated as Winston looked at me, dumbfounded.

"No, we don't. You and I definitely don't have anything to talk about," he said, raising his eyebrows at me — Freakin' idiot.

I took in a deep breath. If I was gonna do this, I was gonna need tolerance the most. "Actually, you know what? You're right. We don't need to talk. I need to talk, and you are going to listen," I said, maintaining the seriousness in my tone exceptionally well.

"I don't have time for your bullshit," he spit out.

He's not worth going to jail for, Noah. He's not worth.

"Yes, because all I do the entire day is sit around waiting to talk to you," I scoffed. "Trust me, I'm not any more thrilled about this than you are, but you're going to listen to me."

"Look, I get that you severely dislike me, and I have absolutely no objection with how openly you express that but Sydney, she doesn't deserve the kind of behavior you're showing her. She's done nothing to be treated that way, and what you said today was completely out of line, so do not ever say anything like to her again," I warned.

"Don't threaten me, and please, she doesn't care one bit about me."

Yeah, I lost my shit after that. "Doesn't care one bit about you? Are you actually even hearing yourself right now? She is losing her head, trying to find ways to get you to talk to her, and you're telling me she doesn't care. You really are dumber than I give you credit for," I snapped, not thinking twice about how rude I sounded because quite frankly, that didn't matter right now. "She literally fought with me for you!"

"Why? Because you told her not to talk to me, and she still did?"

"See, Winston, that's the difference between you and me. Even though you're a complete ass, I still hoped things would be okay between the two of you; I didn't want Sydney to lose her friend. So, no, I didn't tell her to stop talking to you, I told her to stop running after you and wasting her time. Because she was putting in all of her efforts to try and appease you even though she did nothing wrong while you being the douchebag you are, did not make one single attempt to acknowledge her efforts!"

"Do you know how easy it was for her to choose you over me when I asked her to? Is that what friendship means to her?"

I gave him a cynical smile. "So then you were being a real friend when you asked her to choose between you and the guy she was trying to build a relationship with because of the sole reason that you couldn't bear the fact that the person you dislike the most got the girl you like?"

Even after that, this bitch dared to scoff at me. "That's not--"

"I said, I'm doing the talking, and you're doing the listening," I reminded. "You can't have it both ways, Winston. You can't make her hate me just because you do, that's unreasonable, and you can't be harsh to her because she doesn't have feelings for you back."

"It's not how--"

I cut him off once again and pointed a finger at him. "I am not done yet. Shut the fuck up and listen." That was very effective in shutting him up.