Querencia

Querencia; a place from which one's strength is drawn, where one feels at home; the place where you are your most authentic self.

C H A P T E R    S I X T Y - T H R E E 

Sydney's POV

It had been a week since we got back from my parent's, and it had been absolute hell. All of us had classes back to back, and with our internships and assignment flying our days without us noticing, it was hard to stay sane. But the only thing I was holding onto was the fact that I had my date tomorrow with Noah. I smiled to myself as I arranged my clothes in my closet because Noah's obsession with cleanliness had rubbed off on me.

Right on the cue, my phone rang, and I saw his name on the screen. "Hey," I greeted, plopping down on my bed. 

"Hey, I have some bad news," he said, and I heard him sigh softly.

I mirrored his action, letting out a sigh as well. "Why do I feel like this is about our date tomorrow?" I guessed because everything else had already gone wrong and that was the only one left.

"My boss wants me in tomorrow too," he said, sounding as upset as I felt.

"It's a Saturday!" I attempted to reason with him.

"I know, and that's exactly what I told him, and he said if you wanna work here, stop differentiating between weekdays and weekends. I tried to explain, but I couldn't argue much compared to the post he holds against mine," he explained. "I'm really sorry, Syd."

"But you just joined," I said, even though I knew that it made no sense at all.

"Which is exactly why I can't afford to spoil my impression," he tried to present his point, and the frown on my face disappeared when I understood what he was trying to say.

"Yeah, I understand. Don't worry about it, we'll just reschedule the date," I told him, waving it off seeing as I also had a lot of work to catch up with.

I heard him let out a light laugh. "Thank you so much; you're the best. Also, I'm gonna be home in a few minutes, are you coming to the apartment tonight?"

I smiled a little at his compliment. "No, I have way too many things to complete, and if I don't do them, I might actually end up failing," I told him, stifling out a laugh because, at this point, I wasn't being dramatic. There was actually work in that amount, and it sucked.

"You're right. Even I have so many video lectures I need to get through because I missed a lot of classes because of this job. Alright, I gotta go, take care, and I love you. So much," he said, and suddenly my stomach had turned into a butterfly garden.

"I love you more," I said, biting the side of my lower lip.

"That's not possible, baby," he replied and cut the call. I chuckled at his response, only if he knew. 

I had left the door unlocked for Scarlett, but when it opened, I found myself face to face with Jay. "Hey," I said as he came up to me and gave me a swift hug.

"Hey, Scarlett is staying with her parents for this weekend, and I'm just dropping off some of her things she told me to," he said, answering the question that I was going to ask him and I nodded in response.

"So, all set for the date tomorrow?" Jay asked me, keeping the bag on Scarlett's bed.

My lips stretched into a small smile unwillingly. "It got cancelled. It turns out Noah's boss doesn't believe in weekends," I said, clicking my tongue.

"Wow, sounds like a complete hardass," he said, referring to Noah's boss and not bothering to have any filter. "Hey, how did meeting your parents go? I never got a chance to ask you!"