Quiddity

Quiddity; the essence of something.

C H A P T E R   S I X T Y - T H R E E 

"Is everything okay? Did something happen?" I asked, worry evident in my tone as I looked at both of them.

"Yes, don't worry, everything's okay," Jay told me, his lips curling to form a smile. "We're moving in together around next month or so," he beamed at me, both of them smiling widely at us.

I stood up as Scarlett came to hug me. "Holy shit, that's amazing," I said, astonished. They had already decided that they would, but I just didn't think it would be this soon.

"Yeah, you guys, that's really great," Noah said. I could sense that he wasn't as thrilled about this as them, but maybe it was just shocking for him since they had sprung up something so big out of the blue.

"We were looking for an apartment for a long time, and we finally found it, it's really close too," Scarlett said. "And, throughout the day, we barely get to see each other, so we decided to move in," she grinned at me and quickly excused herself to the side as her phone rang.

Jay stood in front of us and clapped his hands excitedly, waiting for us to say something. "I'm so happy you guys took this decision, Jay. She's always complaining about how she barely gets to see you," I genuinely told him, and he pulled me into a bear hug, making a chuckle escape my mouth.

He slung an arm around my shoulder as I stood next to him, and he looked at Noah, eagerly anticipating for his response. "Yeah, Syd's right, great decision. But the next time you decide to do something this grand, give me the news at least earlier than a month," Noah said, in a clipped tone. His jaw was clenched, but his expression wasn't of anger, he was hurt. Classicly, he walked off after saying so.

"He just loves his best friend more than he'd like to admit and he can't digest the fact that his best friend won't be his roommate anymore," I defended my boy and Jay laughed lightly. 

"He's my best friend, Syd, you don't need to explain to me of all people," Jay told me and nodded slightly. 

"I'm gonna go talk to him, see you in the morning," I told him, and he reciprocated the same wishes to me.

I went into his room and closed the door immediately, Noah was wearing his T-shirt, putting it above his head in a second but I still caught sight of his toned torso and his V-line that his low-hanging sweatpants were flaunting with immense pride.

"Why did you talk to him like that?" I asked amusedly.

Noah looked at me and let out a sigh. "He deserved it. Who the hell told him to move out so quick?"

"Just a little while ago, you were explaining me not to be sad about Chris moving to London and Jay is probably moving just a few blocks away," I said, in a light tone. I walked towards him, putting my arms around his neck as his hands held my waist gently.

"I know, but I've always seen myself living with Jordan all through college, I mean I knew he would have a girlfriend, I just didn't think he would move out so soon, you know," he said, laying his head on my lap as I sat down on the bed.

He played around with a few strands of my hair as they were untied. "I understand, Noah but like you said Cambridge's gonna be perfect for Chris, this will be perfect for Jordan as well, and they both deserve it," I told him, and he nodded slightly, still maintaining that frown on his face. "I mean, thankfully we get to see each other enough. Think about it, would you be able to handle not seeing the person you're with? I know, I wouldn't," I scoffed, running my hand through his abnormally soft hair as they had transformed themselves into light curls.