Mellifluous

Mellifluous; a sound that is sweet and smooth; pleasing to hear.

C H A P T E R    T W E N T Y

As my feet worked against the ground in the chilly wind, all of my thoughts spiralled in my mind. Of course, most of those thoughts were of Noah. Lately, I seemed to get lost in thoughts of him. When I'm attending a class, my mind can think about a million things, but what the professor is teaching and when I think about his stupid smirk or his beautiful green eyes, my mind is so concentrated, it doesn't wander off even for a second.

Why the hell was all of this happening?

Wow, I'm thinking about him even while entering his building. I was going over for movie night. Weird how in the first two weeks, I hated movie night but now it's probably the happiest and chill day of my week. The 'ding' of the lift indicated that I had reached the floor on which their apartment resided. I was surprised when I saw that the door was already unlocked.

Scar and Jay went to get snacks, and they knew I was coming over, so they probably must've left it unlocked. I didn't know if Noah was home, but I certainly knew I wanted him to be. I entered the apartment only to be met with the most resonant voice. The pleasant sound filled my ears entirely and magnetically drew me to its source.

My eyes went wide to see Noah sitting on his bed. His fingers worked smoothly against the strings of the guitar resting on his lap. His eyes were closed, and his loud harmonic sound rang in the whole house. He looked so peaceful like singing was his solace.

I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river, and it made me complete

Oh, simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old, and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in..

He halted after that, and the lyrics of the next line were out of my mouth before I even knew it. "I'm getting tired, and I need somewhere to begin," I made a feeble attempt to sing.

He immediately spun around to look at me, and his fingers left the strings as his hand went to his chest to calm himself. "Fuck. How long have you been standing there? People have got to stop sneaking up on me."

"Well, I think by keeping your unlocked, you're asking people to do that."

"Ahh, Scar just left with Jordan so she must've left it open," he said, shaking his head.

"Also, YOU SING?!! Scar never told me that," I scrunched up my eyebrows wondering why.

His lips curved up to form a smirk. "So you talk to Scar about me, huh?"

I expired inaudible words of denial. "What? No, I don't!" He was still smirking at me. "Shut up, don't change the topic. The guitar and the piano weren't here the last time I came," I told him walking in near touching the piano slightly with my fingers.

"Yeah. I got it yesterday from the house," he cringed at the last word.

"You mean your house which is basically a fortress?"

"Yeah, that one," he sighed.

"How come I've never heard you sing before?"

"Well, that's because you're the first to know. Mom taught me the piano because she loved it and I studied guitar because it fascinated me, but singing was something that just came along," he smiled at the memory. "I completely stopped playing and singing after mom passed away but I don't know why I missed it a lot this past couple of days, so this is the first time I'm singing in eleven years," he said surprising me as well as himself.