Onism

Onism; awareness of how little of the world you'll experience.

C H A P T E R    T H I R T Y 

"Care to explain, roommate?" Scar raised her eyebrows at me and folded her arms.

I closed my eyes and inhaled a long breath. "Scar, I swear we were going to tell you."

"How long has this been going on anyway?" Jay asked. Noah glared at him for asking that and Jay caught his tongue between his teeth, realizing what he just said. 

"Two weeks," I answered.

"So, then obviously, you didn't just kiss once in these two weeks," she said, giving me a sardonic smile. 

I sighed and caught Scar's hand. "Look, Scar. We didn't mean to hurt you but we also didn't know if this was gonna work out. We thought--"

She didn't let me continue and pulled her hand away. "What did you think I would do? Make y'all break up? This is ridiculous."

"I know, and I'm really sorry," I apologized.

"I really don't give a shit about that right now," she snapped and was walking out of the apartment.

"I don't know why you're so mad about this. I mean, even you hid that you and Jordan were in a relationship from me for two bloody months, but I still accepted it," Noah came and stood next to me and spoke, after standing all this while quietly.

Scar turned around and scoffed. "Gee, you're right. Thank you so much, Noah. Because obviously nothing screams acceptance more than a bruise on my boyfriend's eye for two goddamn weeks!"

"And don't you dare bring that up. You and I both know that I had different and valid reasons for hiding it. And just so you know, those two months that we were in a relationship and you didn't know, we were drowning in guilt, and you know this better than anyone, Sydney," she pointed at me. "All of that just because we couldn't tell you. Leave the guilt. Your best friend broke up with me because he cared more about breaking your trust."

I glared at Noah for bringing that up, and he just shrugged. And then Scar turned to me.

"I know you and Chase caught us making out but believe it or not Sydney, the first thing I was gonna do when I get back was tell you," I stayed quiet because I had nothing to say back to her. "And I didn't care about the common group of friends or if it was gonna work out or not. So, don't give me that bullshit."

She went on. "And Noah made it too obvious with all the staring and split-second smiles around you, but I figured if anything was going on, Syd would definitely tell me. But I don't care anymore. Go ahead, do whatever. I'm done."

She slammed the door and left. "I'm gonna go make sure she's alright," Jay said.

"Yeah, I'll come along," I said, ready to go, but Noah held me back.

"Precious, I know you want to solve this whole thing, I want to as well. But believe me when I say Scar is not in a state where she'll listen to you. It'll just become bigger if you go to her right now. You need to give her a lil time," Noah explained, running his hand up and down my forearm to try and calm me down.

"He's right, Syd. She won't listen to you, but I'm gonna try and explain it to her, okay?" Jay gave me a hopeful smile and ran behind Scar.

I sat down on the couch with my shoulders slumped with all signs of hope avidly disappearing from my face. I hid my face in my hands and sighed. Noah came and sat on his knees in front of me. "Hey, don't worry so much, okay? It's gonna be okay," he held my hands.