Alacrity

Alacrity; brisk and cheerful readiness.

C H A P T E R    T W E N T Y - T H R E E

"You don't mind me joining you, do you?" Noah asked, his lips holding up a cheesy smile.

Before either of us could reply to his question, he connected his fingers to his forehead for a small hit. "Oh, silly me! Why would any of y'all have any problem if I joined you?" he said as if stating the obvious. "Scoot over, precious! Make place for ye boy."

My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. He was unbelievably uncanny. "Why are you being so weird?"

He tossed my question away with a slight wave of his hand and continued to read the menu. I'm pretty sure all Matt wanted to do right now was scream his lungs out at Noah, but his face just held the tired expression of 'I've been through this too many times to react,' but I could still detect annoyance.

Noah ordered a plate of mini cheeseburgers, which on arrival made me feel like I should've ordered that in the first place. There was no way Noah was even sharing one grain of the bread, let alone the whole burger. My lips formed a pout looking at him, smiling big at his cheeseburgers. 

"What's the occasion anyway? Why are we here?" Noah asked, his mouth full of the burger he'd so mercilessly taken a bite of.

I love the way he said we and included himself like he was a part of this from the beginning not giving a damn about how annoyed Matt was.

"This happened because Matt lost a bet," I said with a smirk.

"Well, duh, when's it any different with Winston? But what bet?" Noah replied as usual, and Matt just sighed.

"He thought Katherine's name in The Vampire Diaries was Caroline," I explained and saw Noah enjoying his food not even bothering to listen. "Do you even care?" I asked, shaking my head.

"Oh yeah, if it's about Winston losing something, I definitely do," Noah jeered. "Come on, man! Seriously? You messed this up?"

"Okay, it's just a TV series; anyone can mess it up," Matt replied, rolling his eyes.

Noah folded his arms over his chest and shot back. "Not the guy with the killer memory."

"Oh please, like you've never gotten confused," Matt said with a ridiculed look on his face.

"Nope. Never," Noah replied smugly.

The argument went on, but I wasn't complaining. It was so much fun just watching them argue. They were both glaring at each other and trying to prove that they're better than the other with each of their replies. They were both dumb.

"Okay, fine then. We'll do this. Ask each question about whatever topic, and even if you get one wrong, you lose," Matt suggested.

"Fine by me. I've no competition," Noah shrugged.

"If you lose, you leave this dinner right there," Matt proposed.

No! I desperately hoped Noah wouldn't accept because it was too much fun having him here rather than not.

"Accepted because that's never gonna happen, Winston," Noah snipped. "What the hell do I get when I win?" he asked.

Both of them contemplated this for about two minutes until Matt spoke up. "I got it. Whoever the winner is, Syd has to tweet that he's the hottest guy she's ever seen."

"Oh, yes! This just got even better!" Noah rubbed his hands together.

"Nuh uh. No way. That's not happening. Besides, we decided I would do that if you won this bet and you lost," I said, shaking my head vigilantly indicating a big fat no. "You can't keep the same condition for the win again."