Flaneur

Flaneur; a person of leisure, deliberately aimless, merely wandering the streets and soaking in the city.

C H A P T E R    F O U R T Y  - F O U R 

Noah's POV

With how the mention of Gavin's name had occurred, it didn't take much intellect to figure out who the hell he was. But my ego refused for me to leave it there, I wanted to hear it from Sydney. I had been wanting to have this conversation for a while now, and in a way, I'm exhilarated it came up this way around, providing me with a perfect excuse to ask her about it, not that I needed one.

Sydney bit her lip lightly, reluctant to speak anything, but seeing that I wasn't giving her much of choice, she sighed. But before she could answer, Scarlett spoke up.

"Ahhh, Gavin! He's so dreamy! Wow, it's been really long since I talked to him," she said, and Sydney's eyes went wide due to a realization that I was yet to comprehend.

"You know, I would take offense that she called him dreamy, but he actually really is," my best friend agreed with her, and I sat there perplexed listening to them.

"Do you even know which Gavin I am talking about?" I scoffed.

"Sydney's ex, yeah?" Jordan confirmed. "Blue eyes, blonde hair?"

I was taken aback from their response. I wouldn't have seen this coming in a thousand years. I just naturally assumed that since I didn't have a speck of information about Sydney's ex, how and why would anyone else? But apparently, I was the one late to the party.

"How the hell do you guys know him? And what do you mean by you haven't talked to him for so long? What are you like best friends with him?" I exclaimed, somewhat annoyed that Sydney had not at all participated in this conversation.

"Remember that one weekend you cancelled movie night? Well, we were just hanging out, and Gavin texted Sydney, and obviously, since I'm a conversational wizard, I compelled it out of her," Scar explained, incredibly proud of herself. I turned to look at Sydney, who sat there with her hand on her forehead, and her eyes closed. 

"I wouldn't say we're best friends," Scar chuckled like it was absolutely no big deal that my best friend and my cousin were friends with my girl's ex.

"Wow! How come I didn't get invited to the 'Let's bond with Gavin party'?" I asked, a big sarcastic smile displayed on my face, and Sydney lifted her head to look at me, but once again, Scar beat her in replying.

"Jealous much, Noah?" she wiggled her eyebrows at me, and I gave her a distasteful look.

"Whatever, I don't have time for all this bullshit," I said, not bothering to look at Sydney, I grabbed my bag and walked out of the cafe.

"Noah! Noah, just stop! It's not what you think, alright?" Sydney called after me, and I turned around.

"So, my best friends are becoming best friends with your Gavin, and I don't even know who the fuck he is," I raised my voice, not realizing that we were in public.

Sydney caught hold of my hand and dragged me to the side. "He's not my Gavin, and I told them about this long before we decided to do this," she tried to explain, vaguely addressing the association between us, still not bold enough to call it a relationship.

"Oh, great! That makes this all better! How the hell did they even start talking to him in the first place, and why is that dick still texting you?"

"Okay, if we're gonna have this conversation, I need you to calm down," she muttered, making me walk along with her to a quieter spot near the campus. "Scar found him on Instagram, and you know how that escalates," she said, not pleased at all about how all of this was playing out.