Breath (Damian)

Note: The description of the server panic attack symptoms and how they are calmed is based in how my own panic attacks are, and how I am calmed down. I am not trying to say this is how all attacks happen or feal, it is just my personal experience.   If you notice that you relate to the this story far to closely for comfort I suggest seeking help from a doctor if you haven't already. Panic attacks really can cause heart attacks if in a serious case.

---------------

Gotham Academy, home of daily torture.

You have severe panic disorder, which means if a panic attack hits, you can actually end up temporarily paralyzed, possibly have a heart attack, and definantly cannot breath.

So here you sit alone in the lunchroom ignoring the fact that in first period Jessica Samuels pointed out that body flaw that you normally end up glaring at in mirrors, ignoring the bad prank pulled on you in third period bu Tessy Jane, Jessica's best friend, and hoping to god they leave you alone at lunch.

Needless to say, it is not your day. While you are focusing your attention on the bland food of the cafeteria they sit in either side of you.

"Please just leave me alone..." you say softly.

They both giggle.

"If you insist." Jessica says with a smirk.

This scares you. She agreed. What is this.

They both walk away. Now you feel your anxiety raise. Thoughts swirl your head faster then you can process them, chasing themselves around in an endless chaotic loop.

What are they doing why did they agree where did they go what are they doing I'm so dead this isn't good why didn't I skip today I knew today would be bad where are they why did they agree

Suddenly a hand hits the table beside you, causing you to jump out of your own skin momentarily.

"You really thought you could lie like that about me.?" A boy states.

You look up and feel your life drain away. Damian Wayne. Crush since you started here. But he didn't know you existed until now.

"W-what..?" You stutter out, feeling yourself begin to shake.

No, no, no. Not now. Not here. Why can't I be strong one time.

"You heard me. I'll have you expelled for that little lie." Damian snaps and continues, "You know who I am. And I know you are only here on my father's scholarship money."

"I swear, I didn't start any rumors... I wouldn't... I..." You feel all eyes on you, you swear you can hear everyone thinking about what a fool you are.  You then add on in a meek whisper, "I know not to start anything about you... especially not to hurt you..."

He watches you for a second then speaks more softly, "Why are you shaking so bad?"

You look at your hands and notice that you are shaking rather violently. You clasp then together trying to control yourself and whisper out, "I'm sorry..." before running out of the lunchroom.

You can hear everyone's lafter as you rush out and it doesn't help. It echoes in your head as the world spins. Next thing you know you are curled up against the wall on the ground outside the cafeteria, gasping for air as tears run down your face.

"What's wrong? Let me help you..." You barely hear Damian through the buzzing if thoughts one over another.

You try to tell him, but all that comes out is a pitiful whimper.

"Ok, breath (y/n). Focus on my voice. Look at me. Breath in.... and out.... it's going to be ok... I believe you. But I need you to not pass out on me right now... breath in.... and out..." Damian says, sitting on the ground and grabbing your hands. "That's it... just breath..."

You carefully focus on his instructions and voice, letting his voice sooth you.

"Ok... does the nurse have a medicine for you?" He asks gently.

You nod slowly.

"Can you get up?" He asks

You shake your head. You notice behind him a crowd has formed. Jessica and Tessy watching in shock. This causes you to start shaking violently again.

"Hey, hey... look at me.. focus on me. Just me, ok? I'm going to pick you up now, ok?" He says.

You turn your focus back to him and nod some. He smiles barely and lifts you up into his arms then stands effortlessly.

You grip onto his uniform coat tightly, the sudden movement making you lightheaded.

"You ok (y/n)?" He asks softly.

You nod once just barely and close your eyes, hoping the world will stop spinning. It doesn't take long for you to feel him setting you down on a soft chair, but he doesnt fully let you go.

"Ok, (y/n)? Open your eyes, I don't want to let go until I know you wont fall out of the chair." Damian says, his hands gentle on your shoulders.

"Damian, what is going on here?" The head nurse asks.

"(Y/n) is having some sort of panic attack I believe. Do you have something for her?" Damian responds.

"Ok, sit down beside her and keep doing whatever it is that calmed her down. I'll be right back with it." The nurse says and walks away.

Damian sits beside you and holds your hands, "(y/n)? Are you still focusing on breathing?"

You nod gently.

"Ok... I'm sorry I yelled at you. I should have know those two were just trying to start drama. They always do." He says softly.

You look at him surprised.

"I know. The Damian Wayne, apologizes to the girl who is here only for scholarship. It ruins my reputation, hu?" He says, trying to joke.

You wince at the reference to only being the scholarship girl of the class. Nobody knows you actually were there fir grades, not just the lucky scholarship pity case.

"I'm not a scholarship girl... I'm here on 4.1 plus GPA deal Mr. Wayne started..." you manage to whisper shyly.

Damian looks surprised for a brief moment then sighs, "Perhaps theres more to you then I wanted to admit... If you will give me a chance, could I get to know the real you..?"

You feel yourself suddenly hold your breath, shock seeming to take over. Suddenly the conversation isn't just keeping you focused until your medication is here and thoughts fill your mind in rushed circles.

He wants to know me he doesn't just think I'm a freak or that broke lucky scholarship child or a loser he wants me to forgive him he dropped that arrogant persona he prides himself for just to apologize to me he wants to know me

"I didn't mean to upset you, forget I said that. Breath. Breath. In.... and out..... in... and out... ok... there..." Damian says looking worried.

You look at your hands and realize he is still gripping to yours, the warmth is comforting. It is easy to focus in his warmth and his voice. It's easy to forget what happened moments ago.

When the nurse gets back with your medicine and some water, your hands part as you take the meds, but you aren't worried about the meds or what happened, you just want to focus on his voice longer and feel that warmth again.

After sitting in silence for a minute you look up to Damian and whisper shyly, "I would like to get to know you too..."