7. The Correct Question

A few long days have passed and Kabir was busy with his practices and routines. He was trying hard to get Aisha off his mind for he knew he couldn't afford to date.

He could not let things like such come between him and his game. Call these his insecurities or his goal, he didn't believe he could emotionally invest in a relationship now.

Kabir knew he was being unrealistic when he thought so but he didn't even want to think about this in the present. All he wanted to do was focus on his game without probable distractions.

Of course he did have girlfriends before but since he started playing international, he avoided serious relationships.

Kabir was a girls magnet and it would be a lie to say he didn't enjoy the attention or the flirting but when he took a girl home, it never meant a relationship. It was one night. It stayed so. Kabir wasn't a playboy or a Casanova either. He knew his limits and he was respectful.

Kabir continued to practice even though the time spent with Aisha couldn't help but pop up into his mind. He would smile one minute and seem frustrated the next.

It was actually like he had an angel and a devil sit on his shoulders, instructing him guidelines. His game was visibly flustered and the team seemed a little concerned.

The team spent so much time together that they all were brothers to one another. They could share anything and it would always be a safe zone.

So once the practice was over and everyone returned to the dressing room, Vikas asked," Keeshu, are you okay? You seem disturbed and rather preoccupied. Is there anything we can help you with?"

Kabir smiled slightly and shook his head. He didn't want to loan his problems to his team members. They would all try to help him but maybe on the way, he might just get more confused.

The team let the matter slip trusting Veer to handle the situation as he was wisest in the team and the one he looked upto.

Kabir was anyway going to Veer's house for dinner to meet his 'bestest' bhabi, Siya and 'cutest' niece, Riya. They were in the car as Veers sensed Kabir's utter discomfort.

Veer then just said," Okay, spill!" That's all it took for Kabir to trust his brother and spill the beans but he decided to keep Aisha's name out of it for the time being.

After listening to Kabir, Veer did nothing but shake his head, disagreeing with Kabir's point of view.

He then continued to say, "Keeshu listen to me carefully. Love will never restrict you, in fact it will inspire you to do better. And if it doesn't, then maybe it isn't love.
I can establish this because before meeting Siya, I felt the same way. And let me tell you, it is healthy to feel this way. It's a part of being responsible for carrying out this national duty that we do.
But after I met Siya, life set itself on track just like that. Just by meeting one person because I fell in love. I got married to her, had a beautiful child and yes, it did increase stress and responsibilities. But when you enter your house, tired and grumpy, you take one look at your family and all that will vanish. They become your strength.
I know and I understand you are scared that your performance might go weak, but how are you so sure that it wouldn't go weak now? By practice and hard work, right? Then understand this, would you not practice and work hard during a relationship? The correct question you should ask yourself is 'would my love for cricket get any less if I am in a relationship?'
And if it wouldn't, then you should have no problem getting into a serious relationship and if it will, then maybe you should steer away because we have limited good batsmen and I don't want to lose you!"

Veer knew Kabir's love for cricket was immense and could never get divided. So he ended on such a note to lighten the heavy atmosphere.

Kabir chuckled a bit, still processing and understanding everything Veer said. He was realising that it would be unreal to ignore relationships for the sake of his game which would never have less worth in his life, only more with each passing day.

He knew he needed to ease his mind and he needed to call the only person who could apparently do it. Aisha Sharma.