12 | point of no return

| meliorism |
chapter twelve
❝ unpleasantville ❞

| meliorism |chapter twelve ❝ unpleasantville ❞

  ҉  ҉  ҉

     Rhena clenched her fists tightly. Her breathing was heavy as her eyes squinted with force, trying to suppress the feeling of panic rising. She tried to calm herself, I'm safe, she repeated in her mind I'm okay.

    She inhaled slowly and tapped her foot against the floor, hands fidgeting in her lap

    1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

    She exhaled slowly, squinting her eyes a little more. Biting the inside of her cheek, she continued.

    6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

    The voices of all the people around her became a little louder and the lights began to burn her skin. Rhena could hear the blood rushing through her ears as her heart continued to beat in an alarming rate.

She wanted to leave and go home so bad. Those white oppress walls were not her home. They just push her down and reminded her that she was not okay, that there was something about her that needed controlling and containment. Rhena inhaled slowly, trying to calm her heart.

    "I don't think we should be doing this" she shook her head, looking everywhere frantically. Fearing that someone might come and caught them in act.

    The boy smiled mischievously at her, his dark eyes scanning her face as he took her hand for reassurance.

    "Nothing is going to happen, Juli, I promise" he looked at her in the eyes, but she shook her eyes, still insecure.

    "You don't know that, what if we get caught? Then Nik will be really mad" she pursed her lips, making the boy raise his eyebrows.

    "Come here, look" he pulled her hand gently, guiding her to the clearing. The woods were silent and steady, the only thing that could be heard was the twigs snapping underneath their barefoot feet.

    The two arrived at the clearing, and he positioned her in front, where she had a clear view of the town. She sighed softly, watching from her spot in the hill how all the lights matched the prettiness of the stars they were underneath.

    "There's no reason to be scared, Juliet" he whispered and stepped close to her from behind, moving her hair from her neck "do you trust me?"

    "Yes" she answered immediately, making the boy smirk as his dark eyes looked at the town beneath them. In his eyes, all of that could be theirs if they wanted to. If she asked him, he would take down every single building and burn down all the houses, just to see her smile.