49 | going nowhere

| meliorism |
chapter forty-nine
❝ ordinary people ❞

| meliorism |chapter forty-nine❝ ordinary people ❞

҉  ҉  ҉ 

There was so much evil, hatred, anger, and negativity in the world, that sometimes, everything became too much. Hope got crushed by the weight of guilt and the consequences of past actions. Sometimes, anger outweighed love and all it was left, was emptiness.

She hadn't mourned properly, it just didn't feel real. It was more like a dream, one she came going back to it. Waking up, but not really awake. She was stuck in the middle of a daydream and a nightmare, and to be honest, she didn't know if there was a difference.

    The moment Damon told her why Elena wanted Stefan to have his humanity back, she was angry. Rhena didn't talk to Elena afterwards, even if it angered Damon, Caroline or anyone else. Because she knew the Gilbert girl intentions were selfish. She knew how it felt slowly taking your decisions away.

    After the events of the previous days, Rhena felt compelled to help. Not because it could help her friends in whatever suicidal plan they had, but because she knew what it was like to be lost in your own mind. If that was her situation, she would have wanted someone to help with the right intentions.

    Without asking any questions, she followed Damon to the place his brother was being kept. He was going to drop her off at the residence, but she agreed on going to visit his brother. They had warned her that he was going to be cruel and say whatever came to mind to get her to leave, but she still went. She already had in mind what sort of things he could say, and that point, she wanted to see if she was affected by them. Slowly, she was falling into the deep end, she just wanted to feel something, anything.

    Stefan deserved to change back, and if he decided to turn back off his humanity, that was on him, his choice. That's what she wanted him to do, decided for himself, not having a bunch of people deciding why you should change back.

    Rhena could hear Damon on the phone with Elena, but she didn't ears-drop into a conversation that wasn't her business. Instead, she focused on the infrastructure that they were at. She didn't know the Lockwoods had so many hidden places.

When Damon finished his call, he looked back at her, silently asking if she was ready. Once she nodded, he turned towards the door and unchained the handle. Damon opened the door fully, revealing Stefan, wrapped around chains with a direct ray of sunshine.

    Stefan tilted head, looking at Damon, he hadn't notice her presence "you know, you two are gonna keep me locked up in here for the next decade, I think we can skip the routine visits"