53 | the smell of fear

| meliorism |
chapter fifty three
❝ bringing out the dead ❞

| meliorism |chapter fifty three❝ bringing out the dead ❞

҉  ҉  ҉ 

   Despite not being involved, she knew something had gone wrong. There was something in the air, whispering that a storm was coming. She felt it in her bones, it was coming. War was coming.

Damon called her; Klaus had his coffins back, all but one. The coffin he didn't possess was special to him, no one knew what was in there, not even she did. It was strange, of course, she couldn't help but have an eerie feeling at the thought of it.

Deep in her, she felt guilty for not intervening, or helping either side. But she feared that if she did get involved, people were going to get hurt by her. That was her fear, being viewed as a monster, one she didn't want to be. She could put every single one in danger, so being on the sidelines was the best thing for everyone.

Caroline was better; she had even freaked out a little more because she thought Rhena had done something stupid to get the cure. She was grateful, of course, but nervous. Tyler was losing it, it wasn't until she told him Caroline was in stable condition that he calmed down. She couldn't give him a talk, trying to do something about the sire bond, because he immediately backed off and ran.

Thanks to Damon calling her to be updated, she found out about Jeremy going away. Naturally, she was angry and sad that the boy was sent away without any real reason why. She didn't believe it at first until she got a text from him, saying that he was in Colorado, safe and sound. He didn't want to say goodbye to her, because for him, it wasn't a goodbye, they were going to meet again soon.

    Her hand reached out and grabbed the translucent tape, her fingers opening it, enlarging it until a good size was there, then, her teeth bit into, ripping it. She put the tape on top of the box, sealing it shut. Her eyes went over the many boxes scattered in the living room, filled with all the stuff she didn't want anymore.

It was hard letting go, especially if there was a strong emotion connected to it, but she couldn't keep doing that to herself. She had woken up early in the morning, eating some toast and drinking tea. Then, she had started to flip the room upside down, taking the stuff she didn't want or need anymore. She was going to donate everything, giving it away to someone who truly needed it.

Damon was going to drive her to the nearest donation center in town, but he had asked her to go somewhere with him and Stefan. She didn't exactly know what it was, but he said that it was going to be at dinner, and to dress somewhat formally. She accepted reluctantly, something always went wrong with those two.

    She finished packing another box, pushing it to the nearest pile. But just as she was about to unfold another box, someone knocked on the front door three times.