14 | fire within

| meliorism |
chapter fourteen
❝ fool me once ❞

| meliorism |chapter fourteen❝ fool me once ❞

  ҉  ҉  ҉

     Rhena opened the door, silently entering her home. It was all quieter than usual, but just as she was about to call for one of her siblings, she remembered that they all went with their respective parent, except for Cade who was working.

    The brunette sighed sadly, walking towards the kitchen to get something to drink. Her light footsteps were the only thing making noise around the house, making it louder than it should've been.

She opened the fridge and took out some juice, serving herself a cup. It was still early to make dinner, even thought the sun was setting, and she had already done her homework in the library. She didn't want to attend the party everyone was going to, so staying home would be in her best plan.

Rhena walked to the living room again, sitting down in the couch. The dark screen reflected her image, causing her to look away. Setting the cup in the center table, she took off her shoes and laid down, looking up at the ceiling.

Why do I have to feel this way? she thought to herself. Regret and guilt were slowly eating her alive, ripping her apart, I don't want to feel this way.

She raised her hand, moving her fingers in the air graciously. It felt right, but at the same time it didn't. There was a part of her that kept screaming for more, a lust for action, while other part of her whispered to stayed still and lay low.

There was a constant battle in her head, often times resulting on headaches. She had learned to ignored calls from either side. Feeling nothing was better sometimes.

Rhena let down her hand and took a deep breath, closing her eyes. She felt that a little nap could help her calm her constant nerves. She just need a little rest to put herself together, maybe even a lift of mood. Soon, she entered a space of calmness, letting her navigate through the peaceful and numbing waters of her conscious.

Her eyelids who were resting suddenly felt heavier, like they were glued to her. Her body became tense and rigid, heavier than before, her mind that was starting to make up some dream became blank, leaving room for the open gate in her mind.

She didn't make any attempt to wake up though. Although the sense of danger was staring to ring bells on the back of her head, she let it slide, not wanting to worry about something that might be useless.

Instead of having a dreamless sleep like she had been doing, she was dreaming of fire. Something about it made her feel comfort. She was also dreaming of people who she didn't know who they were. They were all looking at her with blank stares, and they had something sharp in their teeth.

While she tried to figure out what was it about those people that made her run the other direction, blood began to come out of their mouths. It was they had bit something and the remains were dripping down their chins with a crimson color.