26 | looking too closely

| meliorism |
chapter twenty-six
rose

| meliorism |chapter twenty-six❝ rose ❞

  ҉  ҉  ҉

Comfortable silence was overrated, too many people lost the real definition of it. In between the cracks of the silence, someone was biting their tongue. However, no matter how much that person wanted to open up, there was always something preventing them to. Perhaps it was fear, shame, maybe it lead to other secrets under secrets. Either way, in the comfortable silence, there was always a hidden intention of wanting to pour a feeling out.

Rhena and Caroline sat in the car of the latter, but did not made any attempt to move. They could see other students making their way into school, but they stayed there, in the comfortable silence.

Caroline looked at her best friend for a few seconds before looking away, then repeating the process. Apparently, Rhena did not remember attending the Ball, which really confused her Caroline. Rhena held back part of the truth, she had fragments scattered through her mind about that night, but nothing clearly. But if Care asked the right questions, that meant getting the right answers, which might affect her somehow.

    Despite that, she still wanted to be honest, but how could you tell your friend that you died, but you are still there?

Rhena cleared her throat, rubbing her eyebrow as a nervous tick "Are we going to—"

"You would never hate me, right?" Caroline turned to see her, speaking out of nowhere.

Rhena furrowed her eyebrows, turning to see the blonde "of course not, Care, why would you say that?"

    "No matter what, you're gonna stay with me? Despite of everything I have done?" Caroline looked into her eyes, frowning. It really worried her that once Rhena knew what she was, she would hate her, just like Bonnie had done at the beginning.

"Caroline, hey" Rhena took her hand, sensing something was wrong with her, so she began to grow concerned "what's going on? You can tell me anything"

Caroline opened her mouth and looked around, trying to her her mind straight, but she then saw Tyler not far from them, and knew she had to talk to him. She went to look back at her, shaking her head, smiling lightly.

    "it's nothing" Caroline lied through her teeth, and even though Rhena knew it wasn't nothing, she didn't pushed.

"well, when you're ready to tell me nothing, I'll be right here" she squeezed her hand twice, the two sighed and went to look at the school, mentally preparing themselves for another day.