65 | the one that got away

| meliorism |
chapter sixty-five

| meliorism |chapter sixty-five

҉  ҉  ҉

To my dearest,

I know this may seem unexpected and reckless, and you know what, maybe it is.

Maybe I have lost my mind and I have no idea what I'm doing. Maybe I'll turn back around with my head down in defeat and start over again. But you know what? I'm going to try, and if I fail, then so be it.

When you read this, I'll probably be miles away. Away from you and everyone that has ever loved me.

I know that you might want to call me, ask me why I'm writing this letter instead of texting or saying it to your face, but I can't do that. If I do, I know I'll end up staying. I know that if I see you, I'll turn around and pretend this never happened. I hope you understand why I'm doing this.

When I decided this, I was surrounded by love, and I hoped I could stay there, safe and sound; but I realized, I was already lost.

It breaks my heart to leave this way. To leave behind myself and to leave you, but this is something I must do.

I'm doing this for me, I hope you understand that. I hope you see why I had to do this. This time, I choose myself, as selfish as that sounds.

I'll work on myself, I promise you that. I'll get better and be a greater version of myself. I hope you get to see it, I hope I get to see your smile one last time in the future. I'm on my way to do good, to try and help people, for the ones who can't find a way out of their own heads.

I need you to know that this is not a goodbye. How can I leave forever behind a piece of my heart?

If you ever need me, if you're ever in danger, or simply want me to be there, I'll be there. Just because I'm not next to you doesn't mean I'm not with you. If you ever need me, look up at the stars, say my name, call me, do whatever you have to, and I'll be there in a heartbeat. With the same heart that beats for you and our time together.

I hope you forgive me for what I'm doing. But I need you to know, this was my choice, something that had been stripped away from me for a long time. I'm free, and my gods, I love that feeling.

I hope you remember me and keep me close to your heart, as I will do. Keep me in your dreams, where I'll live on. Keep me in your sun and moon, so that you'll know I'm always there with you.